Advertising Art Director Job Description
Job Descriptions > Advertising, Arts and Media > Advertising Art Director
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of an Advertising Art Director? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Advertising Art Director? What does an Advertising Art Director do?
Job Description of an Advertising Art Director
Advertising art directors are responsible for the overall visual aspects of an advertising or media campaign and coordinate the work of other artistic or design staff, such as graphic designers. Advertising art directors typically oversee the work of other designers and artists who produce images for advertisements.
They determine the overall style or tone, desired for each project and articulate their vision to artists. The artists then create images, such as illustrations, graphics, photographs, or charts and graphs, according to the art director’s vision.
Their work requires them to understand the design elements of projects, inspire other creative workers, and keep projects on budget and on time. Sometimes they are responsible for developing budgets and timelines.
Advertising Art Director Duties and Responsibilities
Advertising Art Directors perform a variety of functions and roles including:
- Determine how best to represent a concept visually
- Determine which photographs, art, or other design elements to use
- Develop the overall look or style of a publication, an advertising campaign, or a theater, television, or film set
- Supervise design staff
- Review and approve designs, artwork, photography, and graphics developed by other staff members
- Talk to clients to develop an artistic approach and style
- Coordinate activities with other artistic and creative departments
- Develop detailed budgets and timelines
- Present designs to clients for approval
Advertising Art Director Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Some common skills and qualifications required of Advertising Art Directors include:
- A bachelor’s degree in an art or design
- Knowledge of graphic design, copy writing
- Previous work experience is desirous
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Time-management skills
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Advertising Art Director starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Advertising Art Director job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of an Advertising Art Director may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Advertising Art Director Job Description