The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – In September 2014 UNICEF
began implementing a joint programme with UN Women on Women, Peace and
Security (WPS) funded by the European Union (EU).
The programme will
support the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern Nigerian
States namely Adamawa, Gombe and Plateau and selected Local Government
Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality
and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Tilte: Communication for Development Specialist, NO-C Bauchi Nigeria
Job Number: 494491
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
Work type: Temporary Appointment
- If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate
about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading
children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
- For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190
countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and
development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing
countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and
sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the
protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is
funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals,
businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
- Under the general guidance of the supervisor, and in close
coordination with the Communication Specialist, responsible for the
design, formulation, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of
a behavioural change and social mobilization strategy, plan of action
and programme activities in support of the country programme.
Key Expected Results
- Programme communication strategy and plan of action
strategically developed and formulated, and the implementation
effectively managed, facilitated and executed for social and behavioural
change in support of efficient and effective programme delivery.
- Culturally relevant programme communication materials designed,
pre-tested, and produced timely, meeting requirements and quality
- Monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and preparation of reports timely and properly undertaken.
- Findings, experiences, lessons learned, best practices and new
methods effectively shared with government officials, programme staff,
and other partners.
- Budget properly planned, monitored and controlled, ensuring allocated funds optimally appropriated.
- Strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other
partners in the community and civil society developed and enhanced for
promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive
of programme goals.
- Effective training materials and activities organized, developed
and implemented to build capacity in participatory and behaviour
communication at various government levels.
- Technical support effectively provided with government
counterparts in the development and effective use of communication for
Key Accountabilities, Duties & Tasks
Programme communication programme strategy, plan and implementation for behavioural change:
- Designs, manages, and facilitates the implementation of
programme communication strategy, plan of action and activities for
strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change
in support of country programme delivery.
- In collaboration with UNICEF management and decision makers and
planners of government, donor organizations and the private sector, the
Communication for Development Specialist designs, manages and
facilitates the implementation of communication policy, strategy and
plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through:
- Behaviour development/change at individual/household levels;
- Social mobilization of civil society organizations; and
- Increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
- Makes viable recommendations on operational strategies in the
areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and behaviour
change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
Programme communication materials:
- Organizes the research, development, pre-testing, and production of culturally relevant communication materials.
- In collaboration with partners, the Communication for
Development Specialist organizes and manages the formative research,
development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant
communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme
delivery, including facilitating behaviour change, where necessary.
- Supports the UNICEF global communications objectives and
strategies through development of complementary country specific and
local community materials.
- Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of
communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated
to local communities, government officials, other partners and the
Partnerships for social mobilization:
- Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups,
leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for
promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive
of programme goals.
- Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional
leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community,
as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country
programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation
of the country programme.
- Promotes a better understanding of children’s and women’s issues
by assisting in or managing a country level behaviour change and social
mobilization strategy supportive of effective and efficient programme
- Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at
individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society
organizations and increased community participation in development
Capacity building support:
- Develops training materials and activities to build capacity for participatory and behaviour change communication.
- Develops training materials and activities to build capacity in
participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel who are
involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of programme
communication intervention, in support of programme sustainability.
Coordination and collaboration with government and partners:
- Provides effective coordination and technical support to
government counterparts and other partners in the development and
strategic use of communication for social development.
- Coordinates with government counterparts in the development and
appropriate use of communication for social development aimed at both
individual behaviour change and collective action.
- Provide technical support as required.
- Collaborates with government officials, community leaders, UN,
and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities,
operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas
supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Monitor and evaluate programme activities and prepare monitoring
and evaluation reports. Exchange findings, experiences, lessons learned
and new methods with partners.
- Monitors and evaluates programme activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure compliance and achievement
of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet
- Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures.
- Provides technical advice to programme staff, government
officials and other counterparts, and coordinates and manages the
evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as
mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual
- Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges
and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new
methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF
Budget planning and management of program funds:
- Participate in the budget planning and ensure the compliance and the optimal appropriation of allocated programme funds.
- Participates in and contributes to the budget and programme
review and planning. Establishes programme work plans, allocation of
resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
- Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme
funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and
- Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous
and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university Degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences,
(Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on
strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social
mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional
work experience in the development, planning and management of social
development programmes, including several years in developing countries,
with practical experience in the adaptation and application of
communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English and the local working language of the duty station (NO).
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising
- Persuading and Influencing
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
Specific Technical Knowledge Required:
- Knowledge of current developments in the fields of :
communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory,
indigenous media, community organization and participation, strategic
communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and
evaluation of communication interventions.
- Knowledge of training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication intervention.
- Knowledge and experience to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies.
- Knowledge of community capacity building.
- Knowledge and experience in the methods of communication to
clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral
form and to listen to and acknowledges others’ perspectives and views.
- Computer knowledge, skills and practical experience, including
internet navigation, network, telecommunications and various office
- Knowledge of inter-disciplinary approach in programme
development and implementation in programme communication, social
mobilization and behavioural change.
- Knowledge of and experience in emergency operations and management.
- Knowledge of and skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
Common Technical Knowledge Required:
- UN/UNICEF policy papers, relating to programme communication and programmes
- Executive Directives
- UNICEF programme manuals
- Communication for Development Guidelines
- UNICEF country programme plans
- Government development plans and policies
- UN agency agreements and joint policy papers
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced:
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
- Understanding of UNICEF programmatic policies, goals, visions,
positions, policies, priorities, strategies and approaches (MDGs, UNDAF,
- Understanding of UNICEF policies and procedures for programming, operations and communication.
- Latest theory, methodology, technology and tools in the functional areas.
- Knowledge of the Programme Policy and Procedure (PPP) manual.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in community capacity building.
- Understanding of government policies, guidelines, legislation and strategies on various subjects.
- Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
- Understanding of UN mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
- Understanding of staff welfare and rights of staff members.
- Knowledge of emergency operations and security guidelines.
- Understanding of international humanitarian affairs and humanitarian work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 15th April, 2016.