The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality leadership development programme, with the intention to
build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
A Mandela Rhodes Scholarship enables a Scholar to study at a South African tertiary institution registered with the South African Council on Higher Education for an accredited postgraduate degree programme. The Scholarship is awarded for one or a maximum of two years, currently for an Honours or Masters degree.
Mandela Rhodes Scholars shall:
- Adhere to the principles and goals of the Mandela Rhodes Scholarships programme.
- Attend leadership workshops as offered by the Mandela Rhodes Scholarships programme, on dates to be advised. Attendance is a condition of accepting the Scholarship, unless there are exceptional circumstances agreed to by the MRF.
- Be offered access to peer-mentoring (optional for the Scholar).
- According to the current policy of the MRF, be younger than 30 years of age at the time of taking up the Scholarship.
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four
principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and
- The MRF leadership development activities sometimes include
weekends. It is a condition of the Scholarship that attendance is
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must posess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2017
The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution;
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF;
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from
the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and back home
at the end of their degree programme;
- Personal allowance.
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF;
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF;
Leadership development programmeThe leadership development programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential workshops;
- Three regional group pods;
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the 2016/2017 Mandela Rhodes Postgraduate Scholarships
Application Deadline: 2nd May 2016.