The State Engineer will support the Engineering and Environmental Compliance Manager to ensure that all projects are implemented in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards. The State Engineer provides technical support, training and supervision to project engineers who are implementing small and medium-sized infrastructure subprojects. The State Engineer will provide technical input to NERI staff during the project identification, development and implementation: including budget preparation, scheduling, environmental reviews and compliance monitoring, preparing and reviewing designs, and progress monitoring and reporting. The State Engineer will ensure that all infrastructure projects are completed within the available timeframe, allowing sufficient time for close down, demobilization, handover, final invoicing, and, if necessary, contract termination.
Reporting & Supervision:
The State Engineer technically reports to the Engineering & Environmental Compliance Manager in Abuja and administratively to the State Program Manager based respectively in Adamawa and Yobe State. The State Engineer has no direct reportees, but oversees the work of up to 10 temporary project engineers at a time.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
- Directly supervise construction and renovation works in the program area, and/or provide technical assistance and supervision to Project Engineers for all NERI infrastructure projects within the program area
- Assist the Program team in identifying and developing infrastructure projects. Input will include, but not be limited to, establishing constructability, identifying potential field difficulties, and budget preparation to include material, labor, equipment and service costs
- Conduct final checks on project designs and specifications to ensure that all designs, drawings and BOQs are in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards before passing on to Abuja for final approval
- Assist in the tendering, tender evaluation and contract recommendation processes for sub consultants and sub contracts.
- Directly carry out, or oversee Project Engineer pre-final and final inspection of all infrastructure works
- Technically review all invoices for state infrastructure subprojects submitted according to project invoice review procedures;
- Interface with grantees, sub-contractors and vendors as required ensuring transparent program processes are upheld.
- Participate in final review and close out of grant activities
- Prepare EDFs, identifying mitigation measures into projects. Ensure that these mitigation measures are planned, budgeted and carried out
- Conduct monitoring visits to infrastructure project sites, including unannounced visits in order to monitor progress and ensure compliance
- Assist in evaluating and prequalifying potential subcontractors
- Set up and maintain local price databases using inputs from the procurement teams, past activities and assessment visits.
- Any other duties suitable to task and commensurate with ability
Required Skills & Qualifications
- University degree in Civil Engineering or similar field of study.
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and apply problem solving skills and provide technical supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage a diverse range of professional relationships essential.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English.
- Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri desired.
- 5 years’ general work experience. 4 years’ specific work experience with a large portfolio assistance program providing infrastructure project implementation: Construction supervision as Resident Engineer, Construction Manager or Contractor’s Site Representative.
- Familiarity with USAID Environmental Compliance regulations and experience in preparation of EDFs
How to Apply
Applicants for this position MUST submit the following documents to email@example.com
– A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all job responsibilities; AND
– A cover letter
Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume/CV. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline: July 29, 2016