Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria – We attract talented individuals. Not
only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also
reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global
opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group’s people strategy is
our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of
productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our
performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that
bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their
performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved.
To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in
place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our
values every day.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Audit, Nigeria
Job ID: 521688
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Job Function: Group Internal Audit
Full/Part Time: Full time
- To provide geographic and governance stakeholders and committees with:
- o A single point of contact in the country with respect to Group Internal Audit (GIA);
- o GIA’s view on significant risks within the country and an
assessment as to whether these risks are being adequately managed and
escalated if appropriate;
- An overall assessment on the state of controls within the country;
- An assurance as to whether the Geographic Management model has been implemented and is operating effectively.
- Providing, oversight, guidance and support to manage an effective Country Audit function that:
- Provides independent assurance to relevant stakeholders on the state of the Country control environment .
- To provide GIA internal stakeholders with:
- Country Audit Needs/ Risk Assessments to enable the functional audit teams to determine their detailed audit plans;
- An assessment on the appropriateness of the audit plans from
a geographic perspective. Contribute to the development of the overall
GIA audit plan and approach, based on the inherent risks/ knowledge on
the country concerned;
- An anticipatory approach to risk assessment to GIA by
highlighting issues through good stakeholder communication in order to
improve audit planning;
- To provide Regulators with:
- A key point of contact within GIA in their country;
- Proactive and reactive communications to regulators in their country;
- To provide external auditors with:
- A single point of contact within GIA in their country;
- Proactive and reactive communications to external auditors in their country
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure early identification and escalation of risks, issues,
trends and developments to relevant stakeholders. Be prepared to raise
issues/concerns outside the normal audit process;
- Adopt an anticipatory approach to risk assessment through
stakeholder communication and monitoring of external environment to
improve audit planning;
- Monitor the implementation / delivery of the agreed audit plan
for the country / region as assigned; understanding the key audit issues
arising and escalating any significant audit findings that remain
- Attend Country Operational Risk Committee meeting on a regular
basis; Attend key Country governance meetings on a regular basis e.g.
ExCo; Audit Committees
- Review country MIS regularly; Avoid surprises.
Issue Resolution and follow up:
- Ensure issues raised are appropriately resolved in a timely manner
- Ensure appropriate follow up of issues and escalations where appropriate.
Reporting, Communication & Engagement:
- Ensure final reports are issued with all recommendations agreed and accepted by the audited individual/group.
- Delivery of Country/ Area MIS in respect of the activity undertaken;
- Conduct / attend regular stakeholder meetings – CEOs, business heads, function heads, governance heads;
- Provide Audit Committees in the country with GIA reports as required;
- Provide Regional GIA management with regular value added reports and updates, including country “hotspots” reports;
- Provide governance stakeholders with regular value added reports and updates or as appropriate;
- Provide local regulators with audit reports and other
information as appropriate(this may include localizing an audit report
which has a larger geographical coverage);
People Management & Development:
- Demonstrate strong leadership and is able to effectively manage Country Audit teams;
- Manage and oversee team performance through performance planning, coaching and performance appraisals.
- Hold direct reports accountable for managing and developing
their assignments to ensure the department’s goals are achieved and
- Provide ongoing feedback to the team to ensure they develop the
skills and competencies required for effective planning and individual
professional and personal career growth. Ensure Country audit staff are
appropriately skilled and trained to undertake Country Audit and
- Motivate and inspire the team by providing them with the
information and tools they need to do their jobs well and meet customer
- Deal with performance issues, discipline as necessary and
address poor standards, ensuring department targets and customer
satisfaction is not compromised.
- Manage the head count, recruiting and deploying resources as
required, to ensure the department budget is balanced and the right mix
of skills and strengths are being leveraged as effectively as possible.
Obtain regional approvals for all headcount hires, including
- Identify and recommend potential Guest Auditors; Proactively identify, attract and nurture potential talent for GIA;
- Develop an annual audit plan using input from the team and
stakeholders to identify priorities and resource requirements for the
year. Annual audit plan should cover all activities of the country,
including any local subsidiaries, and regulatory audit requirements.
- Meet with other managers, business heads, CEO and Audit
Committee members to discuss needs and propose audits, to build
stakeholder requirements into department plans.
- Ensure plan is developed to meet the Group & Audit Committee’s expectations.
- Schedule and assign audits to team members, ensuring effective and efficient use of resources.
- Ensure quality control of the team’s audit plans on an ongoing
basis by reviewing and approving plans as they are developed and
communicated to stakeholders.
- Ensure annual audit plans have contingency built in, to provide unexpected audits as they may surface.
- Report to the Audit Committee at the required intervals on
Internal Audit assignments including planned reviews, investigations,
risk advisory work and any other ad-hoc activity as required.
Audit activity – Country Audits & Control Reviews:
- Oversee and provide quality control for the department’s audits,
to ensure departmental mandate and business goals are met and that
professional standards are maintained at all times.
- Ensure the timely execution of audit and assurance assignments
to provide independent, objective assurance to the Audit Committee.
- Where appropriate ensure these plans are presented at Board Audit Committee for approval
- Develop the team’s engagement with and support of major business
change programmes thus ensuring that appropriate consideration of risk
and control is given to all change.
- Ensure GIA methodology is adhered to.
- Ensure Country Audit activity is sufficient to meet the requirements/expectations of regulators
Improving the Practice of Audits/Championing Risk Management:
- Build relationships with leaders across the region/ Group to
understand issues and identify areas for improvement for the
organisation as a whole.
- Support and encourage team members to be proactive in
identifying opportunities to share best practice to improve the control
environment; make recommendations to Region/ Group.
- Provide assistance to the business in meeting regulatory requirements.
- Keep abreast of developments in Corporate Governance practices and advise the business accordingly.
Financial Management – Budgets/Costs:
- Prepare & submit accurate and reasonable budgets; ensure timely submissions
- Effectively manage costs within agreed budget; Forecast accurately
- Provide leadership in country /function/GIA team to comply with
the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and practices
as defined by internal and external requirements. Understand and ensure
compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations
and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company
law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the
Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Take
personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance
requirements of the role. Effectively and collaboratively identify,
escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
- The conduct of individuals in country/function/GIA team ensuring behaviours set out in the Group Code of Conduct are followed.
- Function achieving the outcomes set out in the Conduct Principals and Pillars.
- Both direct and indirect/dotted line managers are individually
accountable to proactively communicate, collaborate and agree on the
conduct ratings of employees.
- Embed the Group’s Values and Group Code of Conduct to ensure
adherence with the highest standards of ethics. Comply with relevant
policies, processes and regulations, as part of the culture. Lead by
example by displaying exemplary conduct behaviours and take personal
Qualifications and Skills
Mandatory Regulatory Requirement:
- Minimum of first degree or its equivalent in any discipline.
- Recognized professional Accounting Certification such as ACCA, ACA
- A minimum of 10 years experience in the Financial Management /
Accounting function. 5 of which must be in a Senior position within the
Knowledge and Skills:
- Is able to lead and manage people effectively; Strong team player able to work effectively with diverse client groups
- Possesses the breadth of experience in either audit or governance or both; Strong planning and organisational skills
- Is self directed and able to work with minimum supervision;
escalating issues in appropriately and in a timely manner; Strong
analytical and evaluation ability
- Is a strong communicator with an ability to gain the respect
from their teams, peers and with senior management and business
- Is confident and courageous to raise concerns and issues with
senior managers in a proactive and professional manner; Decisive;
Influencing and negotiation ability
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply