and the United Kingdom where we advocate for increased resource
mobilization in the fight against malaria. MNM has ongoing malaria
advocacy operations in Cameroon and Kenya, and we would like to expand
its malaria advocacy activities in Nigeria.
Job Title: Advocacy Consultant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria.
REPORTS TO: MNM DC, Director of Policy and Advocacy
ABOUT THE POSITION
Malaria No More is seeking a short-term Advocacy Consultant to assist
with our advocacy and efforts in Nigeria. Based in Abuja, the
Consultant will work with MNM’s US-based teams and global partners to
advance the malaria advocacy agenda with the Nigerian government, health
partners and business community. The initial contract will be for a
5-month term, but an extension is possible depending on funding and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
After several years of providing high-impact malaria education
communications and life-saving commodities in Nigeria, Malaria No More
is looking for a Consultant to initiate our malaria advocacy efforts
with the Nigerian government and other key stakeholders. The Consultant
will help to build our advocacy strategy for Nigeria, interface with the
Nigerian government, stakeholders and partners and help with donor
The Consultant will work closely with Malaria No More leadership in
Washington, DC who will provide overarching guidance on advocacy
activities. The Consultant will also work with our advocacy teams in
Cameroon and Kenya, and facilitate MNM staff visits when they travel to
The ideal Consultant will be someone who lives in Abuja, understands
Nigeria’s health sector landscape, and maintains a strong network of
contacts in the national and state government and the broader health
sector. The Consultant will use their knowledge of the Nigerian
government and parliament to connect Malaria No More with government
officials who are most committed to taking effective action against
malaria. The Consultant should also have strong contacts within donor
organizations such as the Global Fund, USAID, the World Bank, and the
Gates Foundation and NGO partners involved in the fight against malaria.
In addition, the Consultant will:
- Represent MNM on the National Malaria Elimination Programme’s
Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilisation committee and
- Provide in-country context and serve as a contact point for global
partners such as the Roll Back Malaria partnership, UN Special Envoy for
Malaria and the African Leaders Malaria Alliance.
- Work with MNM US to draft a Malaria Advocacy Strategy that
articulates a plan to catalyze Nigerian and private sector resources to
close gaps for the treatment and prevention of malaria.
- Identify and prioritize areas of focus for Malaria No More advocacy activities.
- Assist with in-country efforts at developing our donor base in Nigeria.
- Work with the Nigerian government and international health partners
to draft effective implementation plans for malaria programs.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND DESIRED CREDENTIALS
- Minimum BS/BA degree; advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- 6+ years experience in Nigeria’s health or finance sector,
preferably within a relevant Ministry or a technical assistance partner
such as the Global Fund or USAID.
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria’s health sector landscape and a network of
contacts in the Ministry of Health and the broader health sector.
- Track record of success working in a fast-paced, multi-faceted
project that requires high levels of collaboration with partners.
- Hard-working and energetic collaborator who creates trust,
demonstrates credibility and inspires enthusiasm with all internal and
- Motivated by the prospect of working in a startup environment, with a passion to “roll up the sleeves” and dig in.
- Excellent computer skills required, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.
- Superior oral and written communications skills in English required.
- Prior experience in advocacy, ideally within the health sector.
- Excellent communicator who can communicate across different cultures and technology platforms (telephone, Skype, email).
- Ability to research and draft strategy papers, reports, and fact
sheets, and manage the printing and distribution of these materials.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. A monthly consultant rate will be negotiated.
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Nigeria Advocacy Consultant – Full Name” in the subject heading.