Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, non-profit international
humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to
populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race,
religion, creed or political affiliation.
Medecins Sans Frontieres is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mental Health Advisor
- Define, implement and coordinate all mental health related
activities in the project area; ensuring the quality of care, analyzing
statistics and reports, managing staff involved in mental health related
activities according to MSF protocols in order to provide the most
appropriate support for patients.
- Identify the need of MH support in the population within the
scope of the project and participate to the setting up of MSF strategy
- Participate in the definition, planning, organization and update
of the mental health activities and its budgeting, in close
collaboration with other medical team members, in order to ensure an
efficient and effective use of the resources needed while maintaining
high levels of quality in Mental Health MSF activities.
- Review and develop the technical material, tools, guidelines and
documents elaborated for the mental health activities in order to
develop appropriate support for patients
- Do a mapping and its regular update of the existing services,
including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental
health services, etc and maintain regular communication and
collaboration according to objectives and context.
- Share problematic situations and cases with the Medical Coordinator for help with decision making and problem resolution.
- Ensure that psychiatric patients coming to MSF facilities
receive proper treatment including psychotropic medication and
psychosocial support either within a MSF program or thru referral to an
- Identify possible advocacy issues and inform MC and PC before
taking any action. Advocacy is not under Mental Health Activities
- Provide training and supervision on a regular basis.
- Ensure translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behavior during sessions.
- Ensure good communication with the other components of the project
- Ensures, in close collaboration with medical department, that
mental health department participates in counselling, prevention parent
to child transmission (PPTCT) and voluntary counselling and testing
(VTC) activities when needed, and according to existing protocols in
force at any time..
- Monitor and evaluate mental health support activities (define
indicators and follow up tools, collect and analyze data, report
regularly about mental health activities, etc.) in order to have
reliable information about activities and adapt them accordingly.
Participates in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep,
statistical report, etc.)
- Ensure the implementation of all Mental Health standard
protocols and methodologies set by MSF and supervise their application
by all professionals under his/her responsibility, in order to provide
the most appropriate treatment for patients
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR
department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction,
evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the
staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing
and the amount of knowledge required.
- Supervise and ensure that mental health activities (in and
outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular
follow-up and according to all MSF protocols and standards in order to
provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psycho social
problems ensuring mental health team is calm and neutral during sessions
regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs.
- Degree/Master’s qualification in Psychology or MD degree with specialization in psychiatry.
- Essential working experience of at least two years as clinical psychologist
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs.
- Desirable working experience in developing countries.
- Mission working language essential.
- Computer literacy
- People Management.
- Duration of the contract Fix Term Contract
- Salary / Indemnities Salary defined by the MSF-Spain salary
grid, additional monthly living allowance, lodging provided at the
organization’s guesthouse/or housing allowance, transportation costs
covered, provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and cover
motivation letter under the reference “MH Advisor Nigeria” to: email@example.com
- Candidate should submit their CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with their Last name
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Application Deadline 11th October, 2016.