Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organization (WEWE) is a registered
National NGO with its head office in Abuja FCT. WEWE is looking for a
volunteer to assist communications efforts for a
project called “Local Partners for Orphans and Vulnerable Children,
Region 2 (LOPIN)” Project for Anambra, Imo, Akwa Ibom and Rivers States.
Are you first or second class upper division graduate and unemployed?
Are you creative and have a flair for communication work in development
sector? This is the role for you!
As a volunteer you will be working closely with the Gender and
Communications Specialist and New Business Associate and essential team
members of the Organisation.
Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organization is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Gender Consultant
Location: Abuja and Akwa Ibom
- Gender inequality and gender norms are closely linked to the
epidemic control of HIV/AIDS. They also have impact on access to
community HIV prevention and care and support. Therefore, it is
important for a community focused Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC)
program to evaluate the impact of gender norms and gender inequality in
the community by conducting gender analysis.
- Increasing gender equity in HIV/AIDS programs and services, including reproductive health
- Preventing and responding to gender-based violence (GBV)
- Engaging men and boys
- Increasing women and girls’ legal rights and protection
- Increasing women and girls’ access to income and productive resources, including education
- Gender analysis in the context of PEPFAR focuses on the
socio-cultural gender norms, inequities, and inequalities that put both
men and women at risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV, their ability to
access HIV services, and efforts to achieve epidemic control. This
includes: (a) access to and control over resources; (b) access to and
utilization of HIV prevention, treatment, care, and support; and (c)
differences in power among and between women, men, girls, boys, and
gender and sexual minorities, as well as subgroups of these populations.
- In order to reduce vulnerabilities that put people at risk of
HIV infection, as well as mitigating factors of the disease, PEPFAR has
outlined five key gender strategies:
- The purpose of the gender analysis is to review key gender
issues and gender-based constraints identified in Akwa Ibom, Anambra,
Imo and Rivers and develop a gender analysis framework and standard
curriculum to strengthen the PEPFAR OVC response in the States.
- The analysis will address the following objectives:
- To identify strategies and approaches that LOPIN-2 can use to
promote gender equality and improve the well-being of women, men, girls
- To provide key recommendations that identifies and prioritizes
how LOPIN 2 can integrate the PEPFAR gender strategies into existing
programs and strategies.
- To conduct gender training for LOPIN 2 staff and CBOs.
- To identify the gender-based constraints to, and opportunities
for, equitable access and participation in LOPIN 2 programs and
The following deliverables are expected from this SOW:
- Written methodology, work plan, schedule and draft report outline.
- List of documents consulted for the literature review.
- A debrief meeting for the team and prior to the submission of
the draft report. A PowerPoint presentation will be prepared for the
- Gender analysis framework highlighting gender constraint and strategies for addressing such gender issues
- Standard gender curriculum manual on gender engagements with modules that addresses identified gender issues.
The LOPIN-2 will:
- Arrange in-state transportation logistics and set up training date and venue and, communicate to staff.
- WEWE – LOPIN 2 team will supply the collated data on gender
norms collected during key informant interviews and group discussions to
the consultant once the SOW is approved.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive CV
and cover letter in ONLY one attachment (MS word document) explaining
their suitability to: email@example.com
Kindly indicate the title of the position applied for in the subject
line of the email and include functional emails/mobile phone numbers
and full contact information and at least three professional referees on
- WEWE’s recruitment process for this position will be on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications will be reviewed in batches on a first come first served basis.
- WEWE reserve the right to conclude this recruitment process when a suitable candidate is selected