Helen Keller International (HKI), established in 1915, works to save the
sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the
causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing
programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22
countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: NTD Program Officer
Location: Akwa Ibom
Reports directly to: NTD Program Manager
- The End Fund project is a 3 year grant starting from 2016 to
2018 to support the integrated implementation of neglected tropical
diseases (NTDs) in Akwa Ibom State.
- Amongst children, infection leads to malnutrition, cognitive impairment, stunted growth, and the inability to attend school.
- Adults suffer from social isolation and are unable to work, and anemia caused by NTDs increases the risk of maternal mortality.
- Since 1999, HKI has been supporting programs in the area of
neglected tropical disease control/elimination and eye health in Borno,
Adamawa, Akwa Ibom and Katsina states.
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are a group of parasitic and
bacterial infectious diseases that affect over 1.6 billion of the
world’s most impoverished people, including 875 million children. They
cause severe pain, long-term disability, and are the cause of death for
over 500,000 people per year.
- Under the supervision of the NTD Program Manager, the Program
Officer oversees the formulation, execution, monitoring and evaluation
of the End Fund Integrated Control and elimination of NTDs in Akwa Ibom
State to ensure consistency with the project priorities and outcomes.
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of a detailed annual
work-plan which identifies and sequences activities needed to
successfully implement the project in the most cost-effective manner and
ensure project objectives are met in line with national policies, HKI’s
goal and that of the donor.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, facilitate the
development and roll out of implementation plans to scale up mass
distribution of drugs to treat the four PCT diseases, namely lymphatic
filariasis, Onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis and soil transmitted
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other
staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise and
regularly review the schedule as required.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager ensure HKI program
partners execute the project according to their respective project
- Document project activities and ensure that all project information is appropriately secured;
- Monitor the progress of the project implementation and make
adjustments as necessary to ensure the project remains on track and is
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders
including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the
- Internally and when requested support external evaluations on
the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase and
- Disseminate findings from evaluations to support organizational learning and contribute to policy processing or development;
- Draft and share success stories using the standard operating
procedures in the course of monitoring in order to improve project
- Advocacy and Strategic Alliances
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with both government and
- key project stakeholders at all levels in order to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility;
- Represent HKI towards local partners and at other appropriate forums;
- Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the Country
Director, NTD Program Manager and the Monitoring and Evaluation
- Retire project funds alongside Finance and Admin Assistant according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Program Monitoring & Evaluation
- To implement and/or develop Monitoring and Evaluation tools according HKI,
- FMOH and donor standards in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist.
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget
and at the required level of international standards as set by FMOH,
HKI and donor.
- A First Degree in Biological Sciences or similar field; medicine or health related field.
- A Master degree in public health or a related degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in public health.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
Job Title: Driver
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Logistic Assistant,
the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high
accuracy of work.
- The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense
of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of
different national and cultural backgrounds.
- The Driver provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in the HKI, Katsina office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The driver will provide technical support to:
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel within and outside Katsina,
- Delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Prompt completion of log books.
- Sorting and distribution of mail as required;
- Perform minor office moves which will include moving pieces of office furniture and PCs, et.c as at when required
- The vehicle is garaged overnight in the official car park and the keys are secure;
- All necessary reports are completed in connection with any
accident and the driver must report this situation to the supervisor
- Ensures proper day-to- day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely
changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies
including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the
city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts
- Qualification: Secondary Education; valid Driver’s license
- Experience: 1-2 years’ work experience as a driver; preferably
in a development organization, safe driving record, knowledge of driving
rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in Hausa will be an added advantage.
- Please note that subject of email should be “NTD Program Officer- Akwa Ibom State”
- Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered.
- Only applications submitted electronically shall be considered.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the following under listed documents to: Nigeria.email@example.com
- A curriculum vitae, which should indicate at minimum applicant’s
qualification and dates obtained; previous work experience and dates;
age and referees
- A covering letter
Application Deadline: 15th March, 2017.