The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ
suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the Public
Affairs Section (PAS):
Job Title: Chauffeur / Clerk – FSN-04/FP-AA
Location: Abuja – Regional Affairs Office (RAO)
Open To: All Interested Candidates
Work Hours: Full-time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent serves as a Chauffeur, Expeditor and performs administrative tasks in the Regional Affairs Office.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Completion of Secondary School education is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years driving experience, which includes
safety and emergency preparedness, administrative functions and local
procurement, is required.
- Knowledge of the local area roads, government facilities, resident Embassies and Consulates, restaurants and shops is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel) are required.
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Must have valid Nigerian driver’s license.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference
categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe
their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a
determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and,
if applicable, a letter from the U.S.
- Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional
eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof
of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they
have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N3,599, 599 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-04
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM/EFM – US$25,514 Starting basic salary p.a. Grade: FP-AA
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S.
Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be
considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission(com)
authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only
contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174)or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the
minimum requirements as advertised.
Please reference the job title and announcement
number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
Application Deadline: 12th May, 2017.