The Dominican University, Ibadan, Nigeria, a newly established Private
University founded by the Order of Preachers in Nigeria, invites
applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Months Per Year: 12 Months
Proposed Start Date: September 2017
- The Vice-Chancellor serves as the Academic and Administrative Head of the University.
- As Chief Executive, the Vice Chancellor exercises general
academic supervision over the University and shall be responsible for
maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the
- The Vice-Chancellor ensures that the provisions of the Law, the statutes and regulations of the University are observed.
- The office of the Vice-Chancellor serves as the nerve center of activities in areas of protocol, external relations and coordination of various internal organs of the University
- The Vice-Chancellor, in the absence of the Chancellor, presides over Convocation ceremonies for the conferment of Degrees, Diplomas, Certificates and other awards of the University.
- The person to be appointed to this position will hold office for a term of five years.
- The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible to the Governing
Council in the management of human, monetary and other resources of the
University and shall ensure that the University complies with terms and
conditions specified by the Council for the use of funds.
- As Academic Head of the University, the Vice Chancellor
supports, guides, and coordinates the academic and research units and
their support system in ways that foster the Dominican University’s
mission and goals.
The ideal candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor shall possess the following qualifications and characteristics:
- A Doctorate Degree and be a full Professor of, normally, not
less than Ten (10) years standing, with ability to provide academic and
administrative leadership for the University community. However,
candidates with substantial experience at the professorial level, who
have held senior academic and administrative positions, sufficient as to
prepare him/her for the position of Vice-Chancellor, would be
- The need to innovate and reinvent frameworks, academic
disciplines, programs, holistic and coherent platform to provide the
appropriate enabling environment for the development a new human
resource pool that is equipped with the appropriate world view and
capacities to produce sustainable solutions to the challenges of today’s
world is a central element of Dominican University. The capacity and
commitment to implement this core mission is non-negotiable.
- A previous leadership role in any tertiary institution that vouches for this level of competence described above.
- Have a demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnerships with local, national and international governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations.
- A proven and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants.
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilise other resources for the development of the University.
- Personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s Strategic Plan, 2017 – 2020.
- The ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non-teaching.
- Interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students, other members of the university community and the university’s stakeholders.
- Respectable level of ICT literacy.
- Commitment to inclusive and collaborative leadership manifest in
gender sensitivity and readiness to work with persons of diverse ethnic
and religious affiliations.
- Successful leadership and managerial experience, particularly
experience strategic planning and managing of faculty and allocating
financial and human capital.
- Demonstrated ability to promote research excellence in different
domains and build synergy and complementarity among these disciplines
and researcher to facilitate, foster and sustain an inclusive learning
- A proven track record of academic excellence such as to be able
to command the respect of national and international academic
communities and colleagues.
- A clear vision for the further development of the University and the realization of its vision, mission and strategic goals.
- A Professor
- Reputable stature in the national and international academic community
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application with the following application materials below to: email@example.com
A complete Application Package includes the following:
- The candidate’s Statement of Vision for the University for the
next five years and beyond. The statement must not be longer than 5,000
- Curriculum Vitae with 3 names of contact persons for reference
- A Writing sample
Note: Applications received after the closing date will not be reviewed.
Application Deadline 2nd June, 2017.