Job Title: Cultural Affairs Assistant – FSN-09/FP-05/1*
Job Ref: N71004
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Incumbent is responsible for planning and executing cultural
exchange programs for academics, youth, and women and other
- S/he is also the principal point of contact and coordinator for
Post programming such as the Fulbright Junior Staff Development
program, the Youth Exchange and Study program, speaker programs,
nonacademic exchange programs, and programs connected with certain
Education Advisor Center (EAC) initiatives.
- Additionally, s/he plans and leads PAS Abuja special outreach
programs targeting youth, interfaith leaders, and conflict resolution
professionals, and with USG-Nigerian Alumni Associations, especially in
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- University Degree in Liberal Arts or a related field is required.
- Knowledge of Public Diplomacy exchange regulations and procedures, and correspondence format is required.
- Knowledge of Nigerian program institutions in government, politics, education and media is required.
- Ability of communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Minimum of four (4) years in progressively responsible experience in program administration is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is
required. Level III (Good working knowledge) of Hausa is required.
Language proficiency will be tested.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe
their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a
determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active
Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selectional Criteria:
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they
have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N8,168,957 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-09
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Nor Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$62,765 p.a EFM/MOH – US$44,693 (Full-Time Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-05/1*
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the
requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC
- A type – written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e – mail) submissions to one entry/e –
mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word
formats, not pictures.
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S.
Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be
considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission
(com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only
contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your