Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Paramedic / Emergency Technician
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Line Manager: Medical Coordinator
Line Reports: N/A
Length of Contract: 6 Months
Possibility for Extension: Yes
- As a paramedic in the ambulance, you’ll provide immediate response for medical emergencies and support on the referral of patients.
- You’ll usually be the healthcare professional on the ambulance, and at the level of care you will deal with life threatening conditions to stable medical referrals.
- During the referral, you will need to assess a patient’s condition and provide essential treatment which could include:
- Resuscitating and stabilizing patients;
- Using high-tech equipment e.g. defibrillator;
- Administering intravenous drips, drugs and oxygen.
- Emergencies can cover injuries, sudden illness, deliveries, complicated pregnancies, hypovolemic shock, patients with diseases as complicated cholera, complicated malaria and others, also some casualties arising as accidents and/or other incidents.
- Work in collaboration of medical supervisors and medical doctors, midwives and nurses at the MDM health facilities.
- Carry out certain surgical procedures when necessary, such as intubation (insertion of a breathing tube);
- monitor the patient’s condition;
- Work closely with doctors and nurses at hospital emergency departments or other health facilities, briefing them as their patient arrives at hospital;
- Provide written and verbal report of each referral (daily and weekly bases).
- Use technical equipment, including ventilators to assist breathing and defibrillators to treat heart failure, in order to resuscitate and stabilize patients;
- Clean, decontaminate and check vehicles and equipment to maintain a state of operational readiness.
- Weekly inventory of medical equipment, consumables and drugs.
- Participate In internal MDM meetings
- Degree in Technical Paramedic or Nursing
- Basic Life Support Diploma (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) diploma will be an asset.
- Good Team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Languages spoken and written (English and Local Languages)
- Solid and proven organizational skills
- At least 2 years of professional experience in emergency department or paramedic in ambulance, a humanitarian experience will be an Asset.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment and under time pressure.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a two page Curriculum Vitae; three work-related references; a one page cover letter explaining how your skills and experience match the job requirements stated above in one document – MS Word or PDF, with the job title and your name in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- Please notice that if you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
- MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Application Deadline: 26th September, 2017.