Medecins Du Monde or Doctors of the World, is an international humanitarian non-profit organization that provides emergency and long-term medical care to vulnerable populations while advocating for equal access to Healthcare worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Support Counsellor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Line Manager: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Coordinator
Line reports: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Coordinator
Length of contract: 6month
Responsibilities and Tasks Description
- Deliver one-on-one (Individual) and group counselling sessions to identified clients through MDM Clinics, and in line with MDM integrated approach
- Develop psychosocial activities; community mobilization, awareness raising, creation of family support group, working on family links etc.
- Support MH Coord in delivering training, workshops etc as outlined in the project.
- Support in the creation of materials including publicity documents, workshops contents.
- Engage with the community to deliver and promote MDM MHPSS project activities in the designated locations.
- Assist in writing monthly, quarterly, annual reports, monitoring and evaluation activity and progress reports of project activities including monthly reporting to the MHPSS Coordinator.
- On request support MH Coord in specific tasks
- Maintain a positive image of MDM at all times and in all circumstances.
- Note: This job description is not exhausted and the staff member may be asked from time to time to perform duties over and above those described here. The staff member is also expected to maintain confidentiality of all beneficiaries and internal information at all times.
- Be educated to a Degree/Diploma level in Psychology, Counselling, Social Sciences, Community Development or related field from a recognized institution
- Minimum 2 years post-qualification experience in related work within an INGO or organization similar setting.
- Experience in MHPSS project implementation within an INGO setting
- Good knowledge of counseling and community mobilization methods and tools
- Good spoken and written English
- Good spoken and written Hausa , with at least one other local language: Kanuri and Marghi, Shuwa, Fulani,
- Good communicator with proven organizational skills
- Previous experience in TOT
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team setting
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary
- Good computer skills (Microsoft word,Power Point and Excel)
- Experience in supporting medical team and community based organizations
- Experience of working with Hospital could be added advantage
- Knowledge about MHPSS
- Experience working with survivors of trauma, including GBV
- Working in emergency and development project
- Exposure to research
- Good knowledge of Borno state.
Job Title: Security Liaison Officer
Line Manager: Field Coordinator
Length of contract: 6month
Possibility for extension: YES
- Under the supervision of Log Coordinator, the Security-Liaison Officer at base level will be responsible to develop and follow up a context analysis mechanisms, to adapt and implement a security and safety frame, to set up and maintain a network of relations with authorities, other NGOs and field-level focal points to proceed for assessment of new areas of intervention, request of access authorizations, to report and to anticipate security-related events, in accordance to national and MdM internal procedures, under a confidentiality based approach
- Identify a contact list (from authority, security entities, community leaders, HF staff, district office staff, local council …etc.) that can be used in case of the team having problem in the field/check points, to ensure safe access to implement MDM medical activities.
- Assess on a daily basis the security context. Global and Local.
- Analyze and report the security and contextual data using MDM validated tools.
- To support and monitor the implementation of the security pack in all operational bases
- Validate staff movements when needed.
- Ensure proper update and delivery of constant companion cards for key staffs
- Conduct on-going security risk and threats assessment
- Monitor a mechanisms of security alerts to all key staff
- Brief incoming national personnel and ensure personnel are kept up to date on changing security conditions.
- Maintain and analyse an incident reporting system.
- Advise on technical protection and communications matters, such as site selection and protection, as well as the functioning and good use of communications equipment
- Be involved in incident response and crisis management and subsequent reviews and evaluations in collaboration with the Log Coordinator.
- Brief expatriates or any new external visitor about the national context
- Brief expatriates or any new external visitor about cultural and social customs
- Oversee adherence to procedures and plans.
- Liaison with Authorities and Humanitarian Actors
- Develop, maintain and establish an effective communication and good relationship with authorities and other humanitarian actors in order to proceed for: Facilitating visits of MDM staff with authorities, and obtaining access authorization for current and potential intervention areas
- Keep informed the Log Coordinator of any information concerning changes in the procedures and/or the legal context frame
- Participate to any scheduled technical and coordination meetings when needed
- To be the main interlocutor with security forces and armed groups in the country
- Liaise with and exchange information with other aid organisations and with the authorities.
- To represent MDM values as secular, independent association whose commitment is to support sustainable improvement of health policies.
- To develop SOP, validation procedures and briefing prior to fieldtrips to new and/or sensitive areas
- Develop and update a focal points database for info collection in permanent basis.
- During identification of MDM new locations of interventions, security-liaison officer should collect information about the possible places from the different networks (i.e. Authority, community leaders, MAG, other relevant actors) and gather needed information about the location safety, access, and other relevant actors on the screen.
- To get verification of safe access by communication with key people (to be identified in each targeted location) before each field visit.
- During fieldtrips, to coordinate the convoy, represent MDM in check points, and to introduce the objective of the assessment, importance, and methodology if needed.
- Request to medical team any information/issues/concerns that might affect the team safety or MDM acceptance in the area of intervention (i.e. if they face/feel community resistance for family planning, vaccination, handling GBV case… etc.
- Security-liaison officer is the person in charge to answer authority non-technical questions, (example in check points)
- He is in charge to introduce MDM team to people and to explain about MDM, presence, activities. etc.
- Identify possible places for team hibernation in the field and advise on adaptation of security pack based on new needs and context factors.
- Identify relevant actors in the area and get involved in the actors mapping, including analysis of relationships and dynamics between different actors and impact on MDM intervention.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover letters explaining why you consider yourself suitable for this position and providing a valid email and telephone contact to: email@example.com Ensure to place the job title in the subject line.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are unable to accept phone calls.
- We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- Please notice that if you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
- MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Application Deadline 1st November, 2017.