The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shoot Edit, BBC Africa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/900558/25623
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 – Africa
Reports to: BBC Africa Deployments Editor
- We are looking for a creative and experienced shoot edit to join the Africa Service and work across all platforms. Our range of programmes will go beyond the hard news agenda to cover Health, Technology, Sport, Business, a weekly women’s discussion programme, news content for children as well as for younger audiences, News Quiz and a weekly news review programme.
- We will also produce satirical and ‘infotainment’ programming that covers the news from an irreverent alternative perspective. You need to demonstrate that you are experienced in filming and delivering creative ideas for TV and digital.
- A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives. The aim of BBC Africa is to showcase the diverse ideas and aspirations from across the continent in an impartial fair way.
- To provide high-quality and creative filming from the field, edit video and feed the material back to base.
- Working closely with a Reporter and/or Field Producer, you will be responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment.
- You will visually shape ideas for BBC Africa and the whole range of BBC News multimedia content as well as contribute your own story ideas.
- The successful candidate will be required to travel at short notice and may be needed to work across Africa, sometimes for several days and may be asked to work in hostile environments.
- Offering creative ideas on how to film and illustrate news stories and features.
- Filming and sending video to base on breaking news stories
- Working closely with reporters to develop scripts and occasionally writing material. Field-producing news coverage, when needed.
- Working abroad and in hostile environments
- Shooting and editing complete news and feature packages
- Recording presenter links and pieces to camera in creative ways and to edit full programmes.
- Shooting video of the highest quality for either live transmission or recording, providing a representative visual and audio account of events. This will include camerawork, sound work and lighting in the field and where required, at base.
- Contributing original ideas to improve the visual and journalistic content of the story and being aware of the different styles and formats.
- Responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment, often on their own. Liaising effectively and establishing good relationships with all other contacts both outside and within the BBC.
- Maintaining professional standards of accuracy and impartiality and fair dealing in line with BBC guidelines.
- Contributing to the development of operational procedures and maximise the use of existing and new technology.
- Operating within the BBC’s Safety and Editorial policy guidelines. At all times maintaining professional journalistic, ethical and technical standards.
- Selecting, preparing and editing material for broadcast and meeting strict transmission deadlines.
- Setting up and coordinating on-site facilities to meet programme needs, including leading teams e.g. on multiple camera shoots.
- On occasion, undertaking interviews and some journalistic duties on location in both recorded and live situations.
Skills, Knowledge And Experience Required
- Candidates will have relevant experience in a news broadcasting environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork / lighting / editing / location facilities). They will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and proven commitment to News.
- Proven knowledge of issues and stories relevant to African audiences
- Experience of filming, editing and packaging content for TV and radio
- Excellent digital skills with track record of researching and discovering stories and after appropriate training use PNG, Quickfire and other newsgathering systems.
- Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues across BBC News and with organisations outside the BBC. Exercise diplomacy with people where necessary.
- Values variety and individual differences and help create a culture, environment and practices which respect and value differences.
- Demonstrable editorial awareness and judgment combined with a thorough understanding of the editorial aims and policies of the BBC.
- Must have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, demonstrating a well-developed sense of visual awareness and a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit.
- Experience of operating in a specialist area such as business, health, technology, social or foreign affairs, the arts or science.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload, react positively to situations at short notice and plan ahead.
- It is essential you have excellent command of spoken and written English. Fluency in another African language is desirable.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgement: Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
- Managing relationships and team working: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people both internally and externally to the BBC. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing Others: Presents sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, including influencing the agenda of targeted outlets.
- Creative thinking: Translates news and current affairs into high quality programming through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media. Has imaginative ideas of different story treatments and ideas.
Local terms and conditions apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st January, 2018.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!