The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Journalist – Reporter
Job Reference: BBC/TP/1065268/27607
Job family: Journalism
Proposed band: D
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output or generating exciting ideas and original newsgathering.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Propose; research; write; report and edit excellent, interesting, well-explained reports and more thoughtful analytical pieces for publication – meeting the highest journalist standards and fully observing the BBC Editorial Guidelines.
- Provide regular advice on news developments, guidance on agency or newspaper stories and briefings on government policies.
- To gather material for broadcast on news topics and events which is reflective of the audiences we serve
- To provide timely, expert and authoritative news coverage and analysis on news and events of interest to the audiences of the BBC
- Maintain regular and clear communication with the Editors ensuring everyone is briefed on own movements and contact numbers at all times throughout the assignment.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
- Alert editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on the spot reports and present, as soon as possible. Check and advise against coverage when necessary.
- Develop and use all formats and platforms available to tell the story in the most appropriate way and in particular developments in social media to deliver our journalism to audiences.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Supply items for the news diary, coming up with a stream of realistic coverage ideas and working collaboratively with other BBC reporters and producers in the field/region.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Experience of live broadcasting including live breaking news with a good on-screen presence, authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to target audience. A knowledge of and aptitude for using multimedia technology.
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of information.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC Editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views were necessary.
- A demonstrable interest in new media which will include knowledge of how to exploit a story for digital, reporting experience and proven skills in generating original newsgathering.
- Work collaboratively with other Reporters and producers.
- Ability to convey story and programme ideas and to contribute fully to the planning process
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Ability to convey story and programme ideas and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Able to operate alone on items and other programme elements. No formal management responsibility but may informally manage more junior staff.
- A senior journalist covering a wide range of journalism activity who provides thorough, timely and professional reporting on events in a range of formats.
- There may be sub-sets of the generic job described above which require additional technical skills. This appendix to the generic job description can be developed to cover such situations.
Additional Job Specific Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Excellent knowledge of and interest in African religious or ethical affairs, and how they relate to global issues
- Strong production skills
- First –class communication skills
- Broadcastable standard of English and at least one other Language that BBC Africa broadcasts in
- Excellent organizational and diary-management skills – for example the J-Portal
- Strong knowledge of WS and W2020 audiences and their needs
- Strong technical skills, including knowledge of BBC production systems and programs – or the ability to learn them.
- Strong contacts in the religious or ethical affairs field
- First class reporting skills across a range of output and platforms
- Ability to produce high quality video, radio and digital content to tight deadlines
- Proven track-record of creative and imaginative story-telling
- Strong experience of working both at base or in the field
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th May, 2018.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!