The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Head of Section, Software Systems
Contract: 3-year renewable contract
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- In consultation with the Head of Unit and the Director of Research Support, develop a strategic direction and guide the choices on the enterprise systems that the institute uses
- Take responsibility for ensuring software requirements are well captured, testing of software products is comprehensively done, training is appropriately planned and executed and software is systematically maintained
- Oversee the procurement of any software solution that is needed within the institute
- Participate in IITA IT Audit Committee and Risk Assessment Committee and others as requested to ensure IITA operates on best practices and is prepared to overcome risks that could disrupt computer services.
- Take other related responsibilities that will be assigned from time to time.
- Take the overall responsibility of all the Software Information Systems at IITA
- In consultation with the Head of Unit and the Director of Research Support, prioritize, supervise and coordinate the development of all software systems in the institute
- Take specific responsivity in overseeing the enhancement and management of institutional enterprise systems such as Oracle Financials, Microsoft Dynamics, etc.
- Manage and coach resources in the section, including areas of Admin Applications, SharePoint, Intranet, Internet, commercial packages for point solutions, etc.
- Oversee the audit and documentation of all information systems that the institute uses
Qualification And Competencies
- MSc in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field.
- Strong Knowledge about IT architectures and platforms e.g related to Java, Share Point, Intranet.
- Experience in software engineering, particularly systematic requirement analysis, testing and user acceptance management
- Any prior experience with IT procurement, engaging consultants, or similar is considered as a plus,
- A minimum of 15 years progressive experience, in particular at large organizations that have presence in more than one country.
- Skills in software development lifecycle/methodologies. Ideally a project management certificate (PMP, IPMA, Prince2, etc)
- Practical skills in customizing and managing enterprise systems, particularly Oracle
- Management skills – prioritizing, coordinating, communicating, motivating, documenting.
- Experience in managing multiple simultaneous IT projects, possibly with conflicting resource needs.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th August, 2018.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.