The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Maiduguri Sub Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancies below:
Job Title: Hospital Physician Generalist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Conducts ward rounds regularly with Mobile Surgeons and local doctors; participates in patient assessments, treatment plans and documentation.
- Assesses the organization, activities and performance of the surgical department.
- Participates in setting up surgical/clinical procedures and treatment protocols.
- Supervises the ER and Wards where relevant, through on call shifts.
- Ensures rational prescription practices in accordance with valid national and international protocols/standards.
- Contributes to preparing orders of medical supplies and identifies new needs for drugs and medical equipment in line with pathologies encountered, guidelines and standards.
- Contributes to ensuring respect for universal hygiene standards.
- Implements teaching programmes to develop the skills of local staff.
- Analyses Hospital statistics and contributes to reporting.
- Participates in mass casualty management and conduct triage exercises involving local hospital staff during and after mass casualty incident.
- In the event of an emergency deployment of the mobile surgical team, be prepared to work in a more substitutive model actually not only assisting local surgeons in their tasks but actively taking part in the management of casualties (triage, patient assessment, surgery, postoperative care)
- Attends regular sub-delegation and hospital team meetings.
- University degree in Medicine and a valid license to practice in Nigeria.
- Postgraduate qualification in orthopedic surgery a strong asset.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluent command of English (both written and oral).
- Hausa, Arabic, or Kanuri an asset
- Between 3-5 years of professional clinical experience.
- Minimum 2 years of international humanitarian experience, including in delivery of hospital care.
- Experience in low-resource settings and sound knowledge of protocols and guidelines relevant to these contexts.
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop local staff to achieve common objectives
- Shows judgment abilities to deal with special cases and propose solutions
Job Title: Legal Adviser I
- Provides legal advice to the ICRC Protection Department through research, drafting legal notes, participating in meetings and drafting minutes, on a broad range of legal issues related to but not limited to International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law and Criminal Law.
- Provide legal advice to Assistance and Support Departments concerning contracts as well as other legal queries
- Assist Legal Department in ensuring that all ICRC staff are familiar with the international legal framework applicable in Nigeria
- Conduct research and analysis on specific legal matters to support the Legal Advisors and operations, as needed
- Assists the Head of the Legal Department in carrying out comprehensive reporting of external activities, meetings, record keeping, and internal communication
- Maintains and expands a strong network amongst governmental authorities (MFA, FMoI, FMoJ, MoD, etc.) and other organisations (civil society organisations, NBA, etc.)
- Assists with trainings/workshops with relevant authorities on topics related to ICRC activities
- Degree in Law
- Called to the Nigerian Bar an asset
- Studied international law with a strong understanding of international humanitarian, human rights and criminal law
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, preferably in international humanitarian law, international human rights law, and Nigerian criminal law
- Excellent spoken and written English; passive understanding of French as asset
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy (competency in Microsoft Office and legal research databases)
- Understanding of the work and role of the ICRC in Nigeria
- Relevant work experience in international organisations and Nigerian organisations (e.g. civil society organisations, law firm)
- Proven research and analytical skills; able to think critically and articulate legal arguments in a structured and professional manner
- Very strong organizational skills
- Passionate, motivated and pro-active
- Able to work closely and constructively with others
- Very responsible and reliable; able to manage files independently
Job Title: Economic Security Generalist II
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
- Undertake EcoSec assessment in general and as per need other sectoral assessment in the existing and new operational areas as per need and direction of the supervisor.
- Facilitate and participate in data collection using standard data collection tools/ devices of ICRC and ensure data tabulation and further analysis.
- Undertake EcoSec assessment using Sustainable Livelihood Framework approach and EcoSec core component approach of ICRC. This will include nutrition sensitive information collection, assessment.
- Participate and contribute in the response options analysis. Contributes to identifying response options based on an analysis of EcoSec core components (food consumption/production, living conditions, income support and capacitybuilding).
- Visits operational areas to ensure discussion with community leaders and develop methods of implementation for proposed program.
- Participates and Carries out on-site humanitaraon assistance/ aid distributions such as Cash Transfer Programe, Food assistance and Essential Household Items distribution.
- Responsible for implementation of interventions in Shanty towns, urban Port Harcourt
- Ensure implementation of Post Distribution monitoring and project monitoring as per project requirement.
- Contribute to writing Assessment report, Field Trip Report, Monitoring report and other required reports as per direction of the EcoSec Delegate
- Develop EcoSec Project Management Tools reports and ensure that the reports are submitted to EcoSec and Log departments, Abuja timely.
- University Degree in Development Studies, Economics, Agriculture or related field
- Good computer skills- MS Office, and ICRC standard software and good knowledge on internet search.
- 4 years professional experience in same or similar field activities
- Evidence of team of experience in managing similar program in Nigeria
- Very good analytical, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Initiative, organized, methodical and flexible personality, strong humanitarian motivation, ability to work independently, travel all parts of country and work in adverse environment
- Good analytical skills
- Good communication skills
- Shows judgment abilities to deal with special cases and propose solutions
- Ensures that a good atmosphere is maintained within the EcoSec department and with the other ICRC departments through adequate communication
- Reports on problems (security) with accuracy and without delays
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae, Cover Letter and contact details of three referees to: ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org Clearly indicate “Hospital Physician Generalist MIU as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated)
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC status
- Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance
Application Deadline 26th October, 2018.