Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, combining humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach – which we call the RI Way – emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Country Director – Nigeria Response
Reports to: Regional Director / Global Humanitarian Director
- S/he will ensure that all relevant RI policies and procedures with respect to HR, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies are in place.
- The post holder will play a strategic role in the mobilization and effective scale up and management of RI programs.
- The TL will report to the Regional Director with a strong secondary reporting line to the Global Humanitarian Director.
- RI is seeking an experienced Team Leader for a planned start-up of country operations in Nigeria.
- The Team Leader is responsible for identifying needs and resources and elaborating program recommendations for the successful start-up of the Nigeria Country Program.
- The post-holder will develop and manage country support functions and negotiate and network at an international level.
Response Leadership and Management:
- Represent RI on a national, regional and international level to donors, partners, relevant government bodies, the media and members of the humanitarian community.
- Regularly undertake high level representation and advocacy with Government partners and officials as well as donor representatives. Establish systems for communication with local Government partners, relevant line departments and community representatives in the project area(s).
- Exercise oversight and development of budgets, keeping relevant stakeholders informed and ensuring any corrective actions are taken.
- Monitor the implementation of the programs and ensure that they are carried out in the true spirit of the agreed objectives and results.
- Coordinate start-up of all aspects of operational implementation, including office set up, security, human resource planning and policies, workforce development and supply chain management. Set up and oversee effective logistics systems to procure, store and distribute stock, supplies and services.
- Conduct oversight of grants ensuring strict compliance with RI national and global policies and procedures and with relevant donor regulations and agreements, SPHERE guidelines and the NGO code of conduct.
- In coordination with programs staff ensure the preparation of timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal RI requirements and any relevant donor requirements.
- Conducts routine visits to all impact areas of operation to track progress and resolve challenges.
- Ensure optimal safety and security management procedures and practices are in place and continually monitor the safety and security situation, adapting staff safety and security procedures accordingly in collaboration and cooperation with any relevant security staff.
- Oversee the implementation of RI’s policies and procedures with respect to sexual exploitation and abuse, child protection and safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Mobilize donor resources to allow start-up of the RI Nigeria Country Program, based on ongoing needs consistent with the RI global strategy.
- Assume overall management and oversight, including scaling the programmatic response, establishing strong partnerships and networks.
- Ensure registration process and lead coordination with key government partners.
- Coordinate or lead, as required, needs assessments and intervention design consistent with the RI global strategy, government and donor priorities.
Qualifications & Requirements
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding, fast paced and often insecure environment.
- Capacity building experience
- Excellent English language skills.
- Demonstrated project cycle management skills, inclusive of work plan/timeline/deliverables/and budget tracking and course correction.
- Experience of international level representation with key stakeholders, and co-ordination with other NGOs/UN
- Experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability systems in large complex programs
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Relief International. In particular, a good understanding of the humanitarian mandate and principles.
- Extensive experience (over 7 years) of working within a senior management role within a complex country program in an emergency response or fragile state.
- Previous experience of managing program teams in a country start-up phase is essential.
- Education: Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree level (or equivalent field experience)
- Senior management experience of multi-national, multi-sector teams at a Country Director level.
- Experience mobilizing and managing multi-donor, multi-sector programs (including ECHO, DFID and OFDA / USAID) in a first phase response
- Experience of managing and working with local partners.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Strong report writing skills and experience
- Budget and financial management experience
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply