Chemonics International – We’re one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Compliance
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The compliance director works with field-office and home-office stakeholders to provide review and guidance of supply chain and technical procurements, as well as firm-binding documents, and supports best practices, ongoing quality control, and continual improvement. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Chemonics seeks a director of compliance for the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The GHSC-PSM project’s Nigeria country office has a robust supply chain supporting USAID and Global Fund HIV/AIDS, malaria, and family planning health commodities. Local commodity procurement includes essential health commodities such as lab equipment, reagents, and a limited number of pharmaceuticals.
- The compliance director serves as an extension of the GHSC-PSM headquarters Risk Management Team based in Nigeria and serves as a subject matter expert for supply chain procurement and strategy, USAID regulatory compliance, and subcontracting business practices.
- Conduct a periodic gap analysis of critical risk management functions in the management of the third-party logistics warehousing and transportation platform in Nigeria and communicate results to project leadership and the risk management team
- Provide guidance to the procurement team lead and field office procurement and contracts team in accordance with established global supply chain procurement operating procedures
- Review and negotiate subcontract terms and conditions — including applicable insurance clauses — to manage Chemonics corporate risk
- Engage with local counsel related to Nigerian laws and regulations applicable to labor law, real estate, procurement, customs, and operations
- Advise on the procurement of insurance policies to manage office and supply chain risk and coordinate reviews for selected policies with the risk management team
- Provide input to incident management teams and coordinate with the risk management team to support information gathering for insurance policy or claims
- Conduct random internal reviews of commodity procurement files and coordinate with the GHSC-PSM headquarters and Chemonics home office for other financial and compliance reviews
- Make recommendations on strengthening policies and procedures to ensure the effectiveness of internal controls in preventing, identifying, and addressing noncompliance with applicable rules and regulations
- Make recommendations on strategies to streamline systems for effectiveness and efficiency with respect to client needs, team dynamics, and project goals and objectives.
- Serve as a quality control and assurance officer for procurement guidance and outputs to ensure consistently high standards in accordance with USAID and U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, Nigerian laws, and any supplemental policies developed specifically for GHSC-PSM
- Conduct compliance reviews of RFQs or RFPs, subcontracts, and procurement documentation (e.g., selection and negotiation memos) to ensure consistency with Chemonics and GHSC-PSM procurement process
- Review and approve subcontracts in accordance with delegated authority
- Ensure that local staff use and share Supply Chain Solutions and GHSC-PSM corporate risk and subcontractor management tools and templates
- Contribute to the development of content for training in various contract, subcontract, and procurement-related topics in coordination with the GHSC-PSM headquarters’ risk management team and the global supply chain procurement team
- Deliver training for project staff in collaboration with the field office deputy director of operations and executive management team, including on topics related to procurement compliance, regulations, insurance policies, and code of conduct
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and persuasively, both orally and in writing, and deliver presentations, training, and facilitate meetings effectively
- Extensive experience solving complex technical, managerial, or operational problems, and the ability to evaluate options based on relevant information, resources, and knowledge
- Extensive experience with a wide variety of contracts and subcontracts types (e.g., fixed price; IQC; cost reimbursement, such as award fee/fixed fee; performance-based; and construction) required
- Preference for experience with review or oversight of health commodity procurements, construction and/or logistics contracts
- Extensive knowledge of USAID, other federal agency regulations and policies required
- Experience in responding to audit inquiries, working closely with external parties to ensure a high degree of compliance
- Experience in adhering to U.S. government procurement processes
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
- Willingness to travel and work abroad; experience living or conducting work in developing countries
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- English fluency required.
- A minimum seven years of related experience in compliance and financial oversight and management, with an emphasis on government contracting
- Graduate Degree preferred; a Bachelor’s Degree with an additional five years of work experience beyond the required seven may substitute a graduate degree
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of project and contract management and U.S. government regulations and guidelines to provide support and guidance in a strategic and problem-solving manner
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume and Cover Letter attached to: NigeriaPSMRecruit@chemonics.com with “Compliance director – GHSC-PSM Nigeria” in the subject line.
Note: No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.