The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Electrician Assistant
Ref Id: 18/19 ABJ
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 3rd June, 2019
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Main Purpose of Job
- Hands-on Electrician to carry out effective day to day maintenance work, routine maintenance, preventive maintenance, breakdown maintenance, new installation and construction works.
Roles and responsibilities
- Assist TWG team to attend to work requests on a regular basis as it affects the mission’s operations.
- Adhere to FCO health & safety standards in performing regular works and ensure compliance with all TWG work practices and policies.
- Assist TWG team to complete planned preventive maintenance (PPM) works and meet deadlines in our Calendar schedule.
- Attend to all Ad hoc tasks delegated by the Building Services Manager (BSM) and provide updates.
- Install and maintain wiring, control, and lighting systems.
- Install, maintain or repair electrical wiring or equipment.
- Conduct routine inspection and maintenance of electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers.
- Identify electrical problems with a variety of testing devices.
- Comply with the building regulations based on British standard.
- Execute plans for electrical wiring of well-functioning lighting, intercom and other electrical systems.
- Install safety and distribution components such as switches, sensors, resistors, circuit breakers, relays and other electronics components
- Prepare and assemble conduits both galvanized and PVC and connect wiring through them.
- Perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged units.
- Connect wiring in electrical circuits and networks ensuring compatibility of components.
- Carry out daily routine inspections and maintenance of all electrical panels and Distribution boards.
- Conduct routine and corrective maintenance of all small power outlets.
- Carry out routine inspections and maintenance of Generators, Electrical installations, etc.
- Carry out routine inspection and maintenance of building elevators (lift) and fire system.
- Conduct weekly tests and checks on fire alarm systems and submit a log sheet weekly.
- Responsible for all Energy Isolation and De-Isolation during maintenance.
- Read and interpret Blueprints or Electrical diagrams
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Electrical Labour Trade Test 1, 2, & 3 (Ministry of Labour &Productivity Certificate of Competence).
- Computer literate – Word, Outlook (email) and Excel.
- Experience maintaining MCC panels.
- Experience maintaining DDC Panels
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing Electrical maintenance and installation services in Multi-complex Office buildings.
- Experience in working to BS 7671 17th Edition
- Possess 2 and 4 wheel vehicle driving license.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience Working with the British High Commission
- Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Mandatory e-learning courses (where applicable)
- On the job development
- E-learning portal and courses routinely organised by the Regional Learning and Development Team
Starting monthly salary: NGR 234,033.00
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
Application Deadline 1st May, 2019.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!