Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safeguarding Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 1 year
Report to: Country Manager
- Christian Aid are seeking to appoint a Safeguarding Coordinator to support Christian Aid’s Safeguarding work at a Country Level.
- You will be responsible for providing training, support and guidance on Safeguarding matters to colleagues and ensuring the organisational Safeguarding Policy is adhered to at a Country Level.
- The successful applicant will also be responsible for conducting safeguarding investigations and providing written reports to the Safeguarding Manager.
- Discuss any concerns with the People Function/Country Manager that recruitment processes may not be taking safeguarding issues into consideration
- Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that awareness is regularly raised amongst communities we work with to ensure they understand safeguarding issues the behaviours they should expect of representatives of Christian Aid and how they can give feedback and complaints confidentially
- Work with programme managers / staff to ensure that programmes where we directly implement are integrating safeguarding into all activities so as to prevent (or address) a situation where people may be put at risk of harm, abuse or exploitation due to the way the project/programme is designed or implemented
- Ensure that constructive links are maintained with relevant stakeholders and external agencies, including concerned government departments
- Be a point of contact and signpost to both internal and external support services for survivors of abuse
- Work with relevant colleagues on storing safeguarding information & beneficiary data, securely both in paper and electronic formats
- Translate key safeguarding documents & processes into local languages
- Conduct professional, sensitive and confidential safeguarding investigations into alleged breaches of the organisational code of conduct in liaison with the Safeguarding Manager
- Ensure that Christian Aid’s global safeguarding policy and procedure is adhered to at Country level
- Ensure that all new recruits (staff, consultants and volunteers) are given a thorough safeguarding induction prior to commencing field work
- Deliver trainings on safeguarding for staff, consultants, volunteers and partners on a regular basis to ensure they are able to recognise abuses and know to respond and report them
- Keep a record of who has received training on our corporate learning system
- Attend relevant workshops and obtain learnings from across the sector in your region
- To maintain safeguarding as a standing agenda item at team meetings and facilitate regular opportunities to discuss concerns about practice within teams to help develop a safe working environment and an open and supportive management culture.
- Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- Expected national travel per annum – Up to 75 days (On call/unsocial hours Yes)
- Expected international travel per annum – Occasional travel
- Surge capacity for emergency responses No
- In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement.
- The role will report to the Country Manager. It will not have direct reports but will be required to oversee the implementation of our corporate response to safeguarding policies and procedures across Christian Aid’s programme in the country of operation. This will require building a network of key contacts both inside and outside of Christian Aid.
- The role will be expected to support the local team and will have the necessary interpersonal skills and a proven track record for doing this.
- The role will involve travel nationally to ensure the effective implementation of the safeguarding work across the country.
- It may also be called upon to support investigations or safeguarding initiatives within Christian Aid’s wider geography.
- The role will be matrix managed by the Safeguarding Manager.
- External Local NGO sector, implementing partners and regulators
- Internal Relationships across the whole programme and ability to interface at all levels from community member to country manager. Strong interface with Safeguarding Manager and others with safeguarding and accountability roles within Christian Aid.
- The role is expected to be able to work autonomously and innovatively whilst ensuring appropriate consultation with key stakeholders.
- The post holder will be the focal point for safeguarding policy and procedure implementation in the country of operation and for updating it in response to changes in local legislation in liaison with the Safeguarding Manager.
- It will investigate issues coming out of the application of our policies in liaison with the Safeguarding Manager and ensure they are reported on our corporate system.
- Budgetary/savings responsibility n/a
- Analytical skills
Developing self and others
- Number of Direct reports – None
- Overall people management responsibility In country leadership on safeguarding
- The successful applicant will act as an advisor to the Country Team in safeguarding matters.
- Ability to influence a range of audiences to ensure the best outcome for Christian Aid country programme on safeguarding risks.
- Able to deal with sensitive matters comprehensively and robustly including safeguarding investigations.
Role related checks
- Child protection clearance Not required
- Counter terrorism screening Required
Applied Skills/Knowledge and Expertise
- Considerable experience of safeguarding policy and procedure implementation including knowledge of local legislation and regulation and relevant enforcement bodies
- Experience of delivering safeguarding training and awareness to a diverse audience
- Considerable experience of conducting and managing investigations
- Influencing skills and ability to work with complexity
- Highly empathetic and have excellent communication skills
- The ability to perform the role confidentially and in a sensitive manner
- Willingness to keep abreast of and feedback on local safeguarding issues
- Charity sector experience
Digital/IT Competencies required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – N/A
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Intermediate
- Social Media – Intermediate
Salary (full time): N8,501,197/ per annum
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 16th June, 2019.
Interview Date 25th June, 2019.