Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mental Health Counselor
Location: Ebonyi, Abakaliki
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in trainings, and support in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health / psychosocial issues
- Model appropriate communication and interpersonal skills to assist in building the capacity of other medical staff
- Perform counseling and/or psycho-education sessions with patients and families affected by Lassa fever, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to assist them to return to their baseline psycho-social function.
- Identify the psycho-social, needs of patients who were directly or indirectly affected by Lassa Fever
- Systematically conduct, individual or in group counseling, psycho-educational sessions, to patients and, their families (when needed), as directed by the MH Supervisor or MH Activity Manager.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and maintain the use of these resources.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Build and maintain healthy working relationships with personnel at the Federal Teaching Hospital of Abakaliki (FETHA), to contribute to the co-management of patients affect by Lassa fever.
- Where relevant, combat the stigmatization of Lassa fever by providing appropriate information to staff or members of the community.
- Provide feedback about daily activities and challenges to assist in the strategic planning of on-going MH activities
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Degree / Diploma in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology or similar field is essential
- At least 1 year experience in provision of psychosocial support (essential).
- International NGO/humanitarian aid experience will be desirable
- English Language and Igbo language essential
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit soft copy of their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Certificates and NYSC Certificate/Exemption Letters to: Msfocbfirstname.lastname@example.org
Send Hard copy to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Plot D33 Libration Estate (after the Enugu/Abakaliki express),
Abakaliki – Ebonyi State.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.