Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Manager
- The Project Security Manager’s (PSM) overall mission is to keep all project personnel and assets safe from harm
- S/he has delegated responsibility for the day-to-day management and coordination of operational field security activities, provides continuous security and contextual information to the team, ensures compliance with corporate security policies and maintains liaison with the Regional Security and Operations Manager for West Africa (RSOM)
- This employee will be appointed by the Chief of Party with concurrence from the RSOM
- This position will be based in the Abuja office, with program activities expected to be carried out throughout states in Nigeria
- Extensive understanding of the security issues in the Nigeria and frequent travel throughout Nigeria Is required.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Project Security Manager reports to the Chief of Party based in Abuja
- The PSM, based in Abuja, works closely with the RSOM, and supervises the guards hired through a local security provider in Abuja.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the RSOM to develop, manage, and coordinate all Creative security and safety programs, plans and policies relevant to the project including detailed security procedures that comply with Creative security policies
- This will include emergency response drills and communication procedures for the project
- Provide security, safety and risk mitigation advice and recommendations to the Chief of Party
- Oversee movement control and coordination for the project, including Driver and vehicle deployment and staff whereabouts.
- Oversee the local security provider contracted by the project to ensure contractual compliance and performance of their duties, and act as the focal point of contact with the security provider
- Provide training, mentoring, and monitoring of the local security provider’s guards
- Report security incidents, violations and recommended corrective actions, as appropriate, to the Chief of Party, Operations Manager and RSOM
- Provide, if directed, a weekly security report to the Chief of Party, Operations Manager and RSOM
- Be able to assist with out-of-hours emergency response for the project staff and partners, if needed
- Assist the project with business continuity planning, as required
- Ensure that the Creative Sensitive information (CSI) Plan is distributed to and is being followed by project staff
- All of the above includes ensuring security protocols are understood and security drills are periodically conducted with staff in the Abuja office as well as offices in Nigerian States
- Ensure field staff receives first aid and fire response training
- Ensure all new employees, consultants, and partners working in Creative offices and traveling in Creative vehicles receive appropriate security orientations and briefings
- Verify that all security devices such as locks, alarms, access systems and physical force protection measures are operational or reported for repair
- Ensure that project staff complies with project security procedures
- Carry out security assessment of offices, compounds, vehicles, and expatriate and TCN housing and make recommendations for required security upgrades, as required
- Monitor and analyze the ongoing threat environment faced by the project and brief the Chief of Party, Operations Manager, RSOM and other project staff accordingly. Distribute threat warnings to all staff as appropriate
- Ensure that appropriate risk migration measures are taken by the project to respond to the threats or changes in threats faced by the project. This is to include physical protection measures, safe working routines, movement restrictions, protection equipment and security staff provision, as required
- Carry out regular check in calls and communications tests with drivers and field personnel traveling outside of the main cities and/or during any critical security incident
- Ensure visitor access and vehicle control systems are effective and appropriate for the threat environment
- Work with the RSOM to develop and maintain the project Crisis Response Plan in coordination with the Chief of Party and ensure that the contact information contained therein is always up to date
- Additional assignments, as instructed by the Operations Manager and/or Chief of Party.
The PSM should understand, brief and regularly train all project staff on:
- The need for all staff to maintain a good level of situational awareness, and to report concerns
- Project movement/field trip planning and control procedures
- Project communications procedures including emergency phone trees, SMS blast service, and contact lists
- Office emergency response procedures including fire evacuation, direct threat lock-down, etc.
- The need to avoid all demonstrations, possible demo sites and areas where crowd trouble could start
- The location of the nearest medical facilities
- Implement and execute actions relating to the Crisis Response Plan.
Education & Qualifications
- Four-year University Degree in a security-related field, or
- Minimum of six (6) years general work history is required
- Minimum of four(4) years professional experience in security management for an organization of at least 20 staff
- Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience working in complex and challenging field operational contexts
- Minimum of three (3)years experience working for an international company
Experience May Be Substituted for Education as Follows:
- Two (2) years specific experience or four (4) years General Experience is considered equivalent to a 4-year University
- Four (4) years specific experience or eight (8) years general experience is considered equivalent to a Master’s Degree.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Proven understanding of security management protocols essential
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging and complicated security issues
- Ability to develop in-depth understanding of and willingness to comply with all Creative security policies and procedures
- Should have a proven and established network of contacts within the local security establishment and throughout Nigeria.
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. Prior experience using MS Access and web-based database applications
- Ability to draw information from a broad range of sources and provide concise and timely analysis and recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to engage all team members as resources to manage security and contextual awareness in a manner that is proactive
- Must have the physical capacity to travel extensively on short notice to remote regions within Nigeria.
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Officer from the Nigerian military or police
- Prior extended experience with private security company or Nigerian Government security services.
- Proven experience directly and indirectly supervising and managing staff and teams
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are required. –
- Problem solving, stress management and time management skills are required
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills are required
- Working knowledge of modern technical security systems, security standards and procedures within the private sector of Nigeria
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus
- Written and spoken fluency in English required
- Fluency in one or more of the local languages used in Nigeria is desired.
- Experience with a USAID-funded project or other international organizations implementing a program operating in insecure areas in Nigeria desired
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Nigeria
- Strong ability to deploy and use various forms of tracking
- Develop security management and movement tracking systems
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated Resume/CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Security Manager” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Candidates must be authorized to work in Nigeria
Application Deadline 27th September, 2019.