The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno – North East
Percentage of full-time:100
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Officer for our area office in Maiduguri, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in .
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The Shelter Officer reports to the Shelter Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the Shelter assistants.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Support supervisors in pre-evaluation and anticipation of needs and in site supply planning,
- Under the supervision of the Shelter Coordinator and/or the shelter Programme Development Manager, initiate the drafts of technical drawings, develop Bill of Quantity and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Assist the Shelter Coordinator in the development of site planning and other related designs delegated
- Assist the shelter coordinator, to develop emergency shelter designs and organize emergency responses,
- Responsible for preparation and follow up of procurement requests and updating the procurement database.
- Work closely with logistics and community members to accurately control the quantities and qualities of materials delivered.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
We Can Offer
- Commencement: September 2019
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Monguno is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Duration: 4 months with the possibility of an extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 5 Step 1 in the NRC grade structure
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Note: Nigerian Nationals Only
Application Deadline 8th September, 2019.