Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2020/0006
Position Status: Full time
Interns Supervisor & Contact Information: Finance Manager
General Position Summary
- She/he will report to the CLA Advisor.
- The MEL Officer will be responsible for assisting all components of the Rural Resilience Program with their MEL needs.
- The MEL Officer will support the provision of program staff with the information and training to capture monitoring metrics regularly and efficiently.
- S/he will coordinate and support data collection and analysis activities and regularly providing technical oversight, problem-solving and support.
- The Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer will support the program teams with technical oversight and direction on all monitoring and evaluation needs across implementing area.
- She/he will support the CLA Advisor in ensuring timely and quality reporting.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain an up to date database that reflects progress through TolaData (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) and donor indicators
- Remain updated with developments among the Mercy Corps Nigeria MEL community and agency-wide MEL trends and resources, and ensure that the MEL team are applying MC guidance and policies appropriate and promptly
- Contribute to adapting existing M&E systems to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact, in accordance with existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Support data capture across program interventions and analyze data collected during monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Oversee data indicator tracking and analysis, linking it with evidence regularly and ensure that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Play a key role in the development and leading in the review of result chains, sector intervention strategies and M&E frameworks and document changes to generate learnings and ideas for programs
- Write, edit, and summarize field reports to develop quality and informative monthly and quarterly reports for donors and internal teams.
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys in the area of operation.
- Provide input on the design and implementation of baseline studies, mid-term evaluations and final evaluations.
- Visit project sites and partners to collect supplementary data, stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams to ensure regular and accurate information.
- Work closely with program teams for filing/archiving documentation both softcopies and hard copies.
- Work with the program team to identify opportunities to innovate M&E systems (particularly digital enhancement, data visualization).
- Support sector-specific market analysis, documenting market system behaviour changes, as well as other case studies at the project and program levels – data quality controls as integral of maintaining a systematic MEL process.
- Tracking and documenting key aspects of pilot projects for iterative adaptive learning and scale of proven models
- Leverage lessons learned, best practices, program data, evaluations and provide evidence-based information, proposal annexes, success stories, case studies and other high quality, results-based documentation.
- Support learning-to-action events, reflections session to systematically analyze data for programmatic use and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design, planning and implementation.
- Work closely with Learning and Communication officer to identify and document different case stories and communications points and process across programs
- Support with other tasks as needed.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Works Directly With: MEL Manager, Technical Sector Advisors, All MEL Officers, MEL Advisor, and Program Team
- Reports Directly To: CLA Advisor
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to train and build the capacity of others, including private small/medium micro-enterprises on the essence of data for decision.
- Should be able to design and implement surveys, have knowledge of commonly used probability and purposive sampling techniques
- Should know quantitative and qualitative data collection, reporting techniques. S/he should understand and be able to apply basic measures of central tendency and spread
- At least 2 years of experience in development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation or other learning efforts is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Demography, Statistics, Business Administration or relevant field (Essential).
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, project cycle, results chain and frameworks, participatory monitoring and or Market facilitation
- Capacity to produce high-quality briefs and reports
- Ability to demonstrate innovative and adaptive management skills
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Demonstrate strong emotional intelligence
- Experience developing and disseminating regular communication materials and updates
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, private sector, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Proficiency with digital platforms for MEL (e.g Commcare, Ona/Kobo) – including familiarity with other technology platforms to support programs and MEL related activities
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa and Fulani are required.
- She/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- She/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- The position is based in Gombe and it requires up to 60 % travel between field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the Position Requirements, Reference Number and Location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline Not Specified.