Aggreko – Around the world, people, businesses and countries are striving for a better future. A future that needs power and the right conditions to succeed. That’s why at Aggreko, we work round the clock, making sure you get the electricity, heating and cooling you need, whenever you need it – all powered by our trademark passion, unrivalled international experience and local knowledge.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Lawyer
Job Ref.: JR01413
Location: Lagos Depot
Job type: Full time
Purpose of the Job
- This includes the provision of legal advice and support for technically complex and multi-jurisdictional projects in the power sector in Africa.
- Responsible for providing legal and contractual functional support in Aggreko so that the Africa region can deliver its planned growth without exposing the company to inappropriate risk (financial, legal, commercial or health and safety).
- Power Purchase Agreements and Commercial Contracts: contract and tender review, analysis, preparation, drafting and negotiation of major commercial, international, cross-border and government contracts and the provision of guidance to management regarding contractual risk areas identified in the following areas:
- Power and Energy: Power Purchase Agreements, Solar / Diesel Hybrid Agreements, Lease Agreements, Operation and Maintenance Agreements and ancillary documents with Government entities, mining houses and private sector clients.
- Construction: EPC and construction contracts with key suppliers.
- Fuel Agreements: Diesel, HFO and natural gas supply contracts
- Legal Entities and Company Secretarial – ensuring the region sets up legal entities which are legally compliant and optimally structured and to ensure that such entities maintain compliance with local laws. Manage the company secretarial interface with the PlC
- Disputes, litigation – provide legal advice and support. Ensure cost effective and appropriate risk management of disputes
- Sales consultancies / agents / JVs – ensure that the company has optimal consultancies / agency agreements and joint venture agreements in place which are legally compliant and optimally structured This includes completing due diligence prior to commencement
- Building Capability: helping to build scalable tools, templates and processes to support fast-growing sales organizations and provide training to business units as needed
- External Legal and advisory support – manage the appointment of external legal and contractual advisory firms on optimal terms which offer best value to the region
- Risk Management – manage the EMEA regional risk register and monitor and mitigate risks.
- Ethics – manage regional compliance with ethics regulations and laws (e.g. the UK Bribery Act, competition law and and data protection laws)
- Assist in the development of regional staff.
- Display commitment to Orange Excellence initiatives
- Aggreko places a strong emphasis on Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental protection. It is a requirement and moral obligation of each employee to be actively committed and accountable for compliance to the Aggreko Health, Safety & Environmental policies, procedures and local legislation, and ensure completion and validity of all minimum QHSE training and objectives required by the company.
Skills and Experience
- Willingness to learn new skills and expand technical knowledge beyond core transnational skills.
- Legal educational background to degree level as necessary to fulfill this role.
- Understanding and interpretation of the key features of contracts, agreements, relevant laws and regulations in the areas of responsibility.
- Strong analytical and innovative legal skills.
- Functional ability to conduct legal research in the areas of responsibility, and to process, prepare and convey opinions and advice based on the examination thereof.
- Personal authority and integrity and an ability to influence people in a matrix organisation.
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills in both verbal and written English.
- A proven track record of managing large complex projects on time and to budget under pressure.
- 5 years + PQE with a reputable international law firm or multinational firm advising in the power, energy or construction sector.
- Good organisational skills and experience in transaction management.
- Excellent academic track record.
- A willingness to travel within Africa is fundamental to this role and deliver work when needed.
- Fluent English and proficiency in French.
- An enthusiastic team-player who can work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels.
- Prior involvement with company secretarial working an advantage.
- Understanding people – is driven by an interest in people and a desire to understand what drives them and how they approach issues
- Drive for results – a deep seated inner desire to compete against standards of excellence and achieve “step changes” in business results
- Compelling Communication – recognizing that clear communication is the key to understanding, this individual will be able to translate highly technical and engineering-specific concepts into a legal contract documents by identifying and comprehending the relevant issues
- Leading Others – the ability to create a compelling vision of the future and provide inspiration, clarity and direction
- Holding people accountable – the ability to give clear and unambiguous direction to individuals and teams about what they need to do in order to meet the organisations objectives
- Building capability – developing individuals and groups in order to increase the capability of the whole organisation.
Key Role Interactions:
- PLC treasury, risk and audit functions
- Africa legal and commercial resources
- External advisors and law firms
- PLC legal function
- Business and regional unit leaders and functional heads functional
Direct Reports (if applicable):
- To be determined
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply