The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Molecular Breeding)
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- Offer technical support to molecular breeder and lead breeder inoverseeing all technical aspects for the genotyping activities of the AfricaYam II project.
- Maintain clean laboratory equipment and/or work area to ensure a safe and efficient work environment.
- Stays abreast of new and updated protocols for genotyping and related laboratory research in yam breeding to ensure efficient, timely and highquality results.
- Supervise and motivate the labour, capacity building of partners, students and other collaborators.
- Manage relationships with co-operators/partners to ensure timely completion and integrity of data collected, shared and uploaded to YamBase.
- Assist the molecular breeder in the training of students, staff, partners and collaborators in yam breeding practices and methodologies
- Complies with all IITA policies, rules, regulations, and codes.
- Orders laboratory and/or other supplies as directed by molecular breeder and senior staff.
- Assist the molecular breeder in all aspects of the yam breeding, including planting genetic study and breeding trials, sample collection, harvesting of trials, and seed increases, quality evaluations and data management
- Capture data in electronic systems (desktop computing and handheld sets), YamBase and conduct data quality check and assurance to enable timely advancement of germplasm in the yam breeding program
- Perform any other responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc / HND in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Plant Breeding, or related fields with at least three (3) years of experience in a crop breeding program, preferablymolecular breeding.
The ideal candidate must:
- Knowledge and experience in field sample collection, DNA extraction and data analysis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Individual with hard working, courteous and respectful skills, a valid drivers’ license is an added advantage.
- Ability to work with staff of diverse ethnic backgrounds and nationalities.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Application Deadline 21st July, 2020.