Banker Interview Questions
Bankers, also known as Retail Bankers, interact with clients on a daily basis by assisting with services such as setting up current and savings accounts, authorizing loans, moving money and educating customers on banking products and services.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Banker or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Banker position,
these Banker interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Banker Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Banker interview questions.
- What is the primary role of a bank?
- How well do you understand the products and services that our bank offers?
- Describe your process for handling customer deposits and withdrawals.
- What is the difference between a credit card and a debit card?
- Why did you decide to become a banker?
- Have you ever had to deal with an angry customer? How did you handle it?
- How would you deal with an irate customer who cannot make a withdrawal from their savings account?
- How do you explain banking procedures to clients who are unfamiliar with banking terms or technology?
- How would you convince a reluctant customer to choose us as their primary bank?
- How do you build trust with customers?
- How do you ensure that you provide the most suitable retail banking products and services to your clients?
- How would you handle a situation wherein a customer has been wrongly overcharged for a withdrawal fee?
- What is your experience with financial software and technology?
- How do you stay up-to-date with best practices and regulations in the banking industry?
- What techniques do you use to cross-sell financial products?
- What do you like the most (and the least) about working in the banking industry?
- Can you tell me about a time where a client wanted to make a risky investment decision? How did you react?
- You incorrectly enter a client’s personal details in the banking database. How do you remedy the situation?
- What is the highest volume of clients you have served at your previous bank? How did you manage multiple clients?
- What are the types of accounts in a bank?
- Which bank products do you have the most experience using?
- Can you describe the process of authorizing a loan? What examples can you provide?
- What would you say is the most difficult part of being a banker?
- What are the necessary documents a person requires to open an account in a bank?
- What is the difference between a commercial bank and an investment bank?
- What are the different types of commercial banks?
- There is a customer waiting at your desk, but you have a large deposit to process. What do you do?
- How would you rate your experience using computer software to perform your job duties as a banker?
- What is the annual percentage rate (APR)?
- Do you have any experience working with customers who speak a different language?
- What is your experience overseeing mergers and acquisitions for clients? What examples can you provide?
- What is Amortization and negative amortization?
- Have you ever experienced a situation where a coworker behaved inappropriately with bank funds? What did you do in response to the situation?
- What about our bank is appealing to you?
- Which, in your opinion, is more important for a banker: customer service skills or sales skills?
- What banking duties do you have the most prior experience with from your prior positions?
- How would your previous clients describe your personality and skill level as a banker?
- What is the debt to income ratio?
- We want to improve our customer service scores. What would you do to improve our customer satisfaction levels?
- Can you tell me the difference between mutual funds and exchange-traded funds? Can you give me an example?
- What are some challenges you’ve faced in previous roles, how did you overcome those challenges?
- Have you ever helped a client invest in a business entity that did not work out? If so, how did you handle the situation?
- How would you assist a customer who is unsure about which account is best for them?
Banker Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Banker interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Why Do You Want This Job?