Computer Technician Interview Questions
Computer Technician job description includes maintaining computer systems, troubleshooting errors, maintaining internet connectivity, running diagnostic tests, maintaining servers, repairing computer hardware, and providing technical support to computer users.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Computer Technician or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Computer Technician position,
these Computer Technician interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Computer Technician Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Computer Technician interview questions.
- Describe your troubleshooting process.
- Do you have relevant certifications?
- Do you have any experience as a computer technician?
- What different desktop systems are you familiar with?
- Which operating systems are you most comfortable with?
- How many years of experience do you have installing operating systems and what is the most important thing you have learned from it?
- Can you detail your last tech project and what you found most rewarding about it?
- How well do you understand the security risks associated with using certain types of software or hardware?
- What do you do to keep up-to-date with new technologies in the industry?
- We want to improve our computer systems to make our business more efficient. What areas would you recommend we focus on?
- How comfortable are you with software distribution tools?
- In addition to dealing with problems quickly, you may be faced with a tight schedule or high workload here. How do you handle these volumes?
- Do you think it’s important to stay current on the latest trends and developments in the field of technology? Why?
- Communication with the end-user can be an important part of your job. Can you tell me about your process for explaining technical details clearly?
- What would you do if you were unable to find a solution to a problem online?
- When you have multiple projects and deadlines, how do you prioritize?
- How often do you perform maintenance on your personal computer?
- Are you familiar with computer viruses and ways to clear them?
- How would you handle an error that you couldn't resolve?
- Describe your process for installing a new piece of software on a computer.
- Are you comfortable working on your feet for long periods of time?
- Provide an example of a time when you helped a client make a purchasing decision regarding computer hardware or software.
- Walk me through your process of formatting a Computer?
- Describe your understanding of Windows Licensing
- How would you recover data from a non booting operating system?
- What tools can I find in your hand in a typical work day?
- What would you check if there is no sound from your computer?
- What are hard disk partitions?
- What is an IP address?
- What is DHCP?
- What is a parallel windows installation?
- What are the components needed to set up a basic home network?
- Difference between a workgroup and a domain?
- What does boot.ini do?
- How would you access the recovery console in windows?
- What does a ‘?’ sign in device manager indicates?
- You suspect that your computer is failing because of a corrupt master boot record. Which utility is the best to fix this problem?
- What is the command to convert a fat32 file system to NTFS? Would there be any loss of data?
- What are the features of the disk defragmenter tool in windows XP and windows 2000? Does the Windows XP version have any more features than the Windows 2000 version?
- A user complains that he is no longer able to hear any sound from his computer – after he downloaded some updates from the Microsoft website. As a Computer Technician, what do you think could be the possible reason for this?
- A customer reports that his windows XP professional portable computer is not able to connect to any network resource and is also not able to authenticate on the network’s active directory domain the computer was fine yesterday. No other person in the organization is facing this problem. What is the first thing you would do to fix this problem?
- A customer has recently upgraded from windows 98 to windows XP professional. After the upgrade, it takes longer for windows, menus, sub-menus and other use interface features to open. She wants them to open faster. As a Computer Technician, how can you help this customer?
- A customer calls and says he is unable to get online. He uses a cable connection to connect to the internet on a Windows XP computer. You ping 127.0.0.1 on his computer and get the results that all the packets are lost. What should you do next?
- If, upon booting up a pc, you see a message which says “invalid drive configuration..” What do you think is causing this?
- If you turn on a pc and the boot process halts and you get the error message ” c:system32config file missing or corrupt” what is this due to?
- You have Norton 360. When the firewall is turned on, you are unable to browse the internet. But if you turn off the firewall, you are able to browse. What is the first thing you would do to fix this problem as a Computer Technician?
- What is the sequence of things done by the bios when you turn on your computer?
- A user calls and says that whenever he starts his computer, it boots up only in safe mode. There is no other error message. What would you do to fix this problem as a Computer Technician?
- A user complains that whenever he connects any USB 2.0 device to his computer, he gets the error message “USB device not recognized…” what could be the possible reason for this?
- One of the customers has just installed a brand new printer for himself. This customer calls you after some time and says that every time he tries to print something, all he gets is some garbled text. However, the printer prints the test page fine. As a Computer Technician, what do you think is the problem here?
- If, upon booting up a computer, you see the error message “keyboard error…” what do you think could be the problem?
- If you turn on a pc and the boot-up process halts and you get the error message “non-system disk or disk error…replace and press any key when ready…” what do you think could be the problem?
Computer Technician Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Computer Technician interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?