Front-end Developer Interview Questions
Front-end Developers are responsible for implementing visual elements that users see and interact within a web application. In general, they are supported by back-end web developers, who are responsible for server-side application logic and integration of the work front-end developers do.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Front-end Developer or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Front-end Developer position,
these Front-end Developer interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Front-end Developer Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Front-end Developer interview questions.
- Describe how you would ensure that your web design is user-friendly. What steps would you take?
- What is your favorite website with regards to web design? Why?
- What has been your greatest success as a front end developer?
- How do you keep up to date with changes in web design languages?
- What are your favorite features of HTML5, and how have you implemented them in your front end development projects?
- Can you explain the concept of a CSS float and provide an example of its usage?
- What’s your process for addressing browser-specific rendering problems? Do you find that a certain browser is more challenging to work with than others?
- What are your favorite types of front end development projects to work on? What do you like about them?
- What do you think are the most important aesthetic aspects of a webpage and why?
- Explain your process for debugging website code before initial launch and as a part of ongoing site maintenance.
- What are the steps you take to start optimizing a webpage for mobile compatibility?
- How do meta tags play a role in webpage development and consistency?
- Describe the different elements of design that you use when creating a visual interface for a website.
- How would you approach a web design project where you have to use someone else’s code that they designed from scratch?
- Do you have experience developing a UI that works with RESTful API on the back end?
- What are the investigative and generative strategies you employ to produce an effective user-centered website design?
- Explain the main security vulnerabilities that you need to protect against as a front end developer.
- Do you have experience using the box model to enhance page layout on various browsers?
- What is the difference between inline CSS and external CSS?
- Provide an example of when you would use inline CSS.
- If a client wanted to make a change to a website you designed, how would you approach the front end redesign?
- Do you have experience using CSS preprocessors? Which ones are the most popular?
- When would you use CSS animations instead of transitions?
- We want to attract a younger audience to our website. How would you incorporate trendy design elements into a project?
- Describe your process for debugging code and finding errors.
- Do you have any experience with back-end programming languages? If so, which ones?
- What do you think are the key skills and technologies necessary for a front-end developer?
- There is a bug in a piece of code and you don’t know how to fix it. What do you do?
- Tell me about a time when you had to design a website that was compatible with different devices. How did you approach it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to create a prototype of a website or application. What challenges did you face?
- Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult or challenging client. How did you manage it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to make a major change to an existing website or application. How did you approach it?
- What do you think are some of the most important elements of a great user experience?
- Can you mention three simple ways to decrease page-load time?
- How would you describe your workflow when you are creating a web page?
- Imagine being at your new job and the company has three competing stylesheets. How would you integrate them into the website?
- In your opinion, what are the differences between front-end developers and UI/UX designers and where are the roles similar?
- Do you have any projects that you are currently working on in your spare time?
- What has your experience with MEAN stack been?
- How do you manage to consider SEO, maintenance, UX, performance and security during an application build?
- Why would you use strong tag instead of b tag ?
- What are some of the key new features in HTML5?
- What’s doctype for?
- Is it generally a good idea to position CSS link before script tags?
- Explain the CSS box model. Which properties are a part of it?
- Describe z-index and how stacking context is formed.
- How is responsive design different from adaptive design?
- What is the difference between classes and IDs in CSS?
- What’s the difference between display: inline and display: inline-block?
- What’s the difference between a relative, fixed, absolute and statically positioned element?
Front-end Developer Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Front-end Developer interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?