HVAC Technician Interview Questions
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) technicians install, maintain and repair indoor air quality systems, such as air conditioners and heaters.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of HVAC Technician or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for HVAC Technician position,
these HVAC Technician interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
HVAC Technician Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based HVAC Technician interview questions.
- Which HVAC systems are you most familiar with?
- How often should HVAC filters be changed?
- There is a leak in a system that you installed. What is the first thing you do?
- What previous experience and/or training makes you qualified for this particular HVAC job?
- What are the most important skills for an HVAC technician to have?
- How would you explain a complex HVAC system to a customer who doesn’t have any technical knowledge?
- What is your process for identifying and diagnosing an HVAC problem?
- Provide an example of a time when you had to give a client bad news about the cost of repairs to their HVAC system. How did you handle this situation?
- If a client asked you if they should replace their entire HVAC system, how would you respond?
- What do you think is the most challenging part of being an HVAC technician?
- What would you do if you were working on a project and another HVAC technician on your team was having communication issues with the client?
- Do you have experience working with HVAC software or other technical tools used in the industry?
- When installing an HVAC system, what is the most important step to getting the job done correctly?
- Could you describe the components that make a refrigeration system complete?
- Describe your process for cleaning up after completing an HVAC installation or repair job.
- Could you tell me about the most complicated HVAC problem you encountered in the past, and how you solved it?
- Could you explain constant air volume systems as you would to a client?
- What experience do you have with residential heating and cooling systems?
- What experience do you have with commercial heating and cooling systems?
- You realize halfway through a job that you don't have the necessary parts you need. What do you do?
- What safety violations do you see most often, and how would you prevent them?
- Describe a specific HVAC job where you sacrificed safety for speed.
- What does BTU/CAV/AHU mean?
- What is cooling or heating load, and how do you calculate it?
- What are the different ways heat can be lost or gained?
- What is relative humidity, saturation point, and the relative humidity at saturation point?
- What is the difference between a heat pump, heating, and refrigeration?
- Are there any procedures or policies that you think should be in place with your current employer for safety reasons?
HVAC Technician Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during HVAC Technician interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Why Should We Hire You?