Job in Abuja at IITA for a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding
solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning
research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs
of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality
and productivity, reduce
producer and consumer risks, and generate
wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in
1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the
following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and
maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research
partnership for a food secure future.
IITA is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/M/ES/09/16
Aflasafe is a revolutionary biocontrol product, developed by IITA United
States Department of Agriculture Agriculture Research Service
(USDA-ARS) and national partners, which reduces the prevalence of
aflatoxins in treated maize and groundnut by 80% 99% from farm to fork.
Following years of painstaking scientific work to develop products
tailored for Africa and firmly establish their efficacy, Aflasafe is
ready to be manufactured and distributed to farmers at scale. The
Aflasafe Technology Transfer and Commercialization (ATTC) Project is
designed to carefully but efficiently identify strategic options for
partnership with private companies or government entities, execute those
partnerships and help ensure the products reach millions of farmers.
The ATTC Project, funded jointly by the United States Agency for
International Development (USAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation (BMGF), is designed to run for five years. It is slated to
cover eleven countries where aflasafe is, or will soon, likely to be a
nationally registered product: Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, The Gambia,
Zambia, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Malawi and Uganda. In
each country the project will be responsible for (1) developing a
country strategy, (2) working with the ATTC Advisory Board to refine
that strategy, (3) based on the strategy, develop partnerships with
specific government and private entities interested in manufacturing and
distributing aflasafe, (4) execute tech transfer agreements with those
entities, and (5) continue to provide technical support, help ensure
continued product quality and monitor product usage by farmers.
IITA is looking for a uniquely a suitably qualified, dynamic and
enthusiastic person to facilitate the development and implementation of
the M&E system for the project.
Reporting Line: The M&E Specialist will report to the Managing Director of the ATTC Project.
Roles and Responsibilities
M&E System Design and Training:
- Under the overall supervision of the Managing Director and in collaboration with the IITA
- Monitoring and Evaluation Unit Head; the M&E Specialist will
undertake the following tasks appropriately during the different phases
of project implementation:
Performance Measurement and Impact Assessment:
- Develop and fine-tune the project results framework.
- Develop the data management system for substantive reporting on the project activities.
- Conducting workshops for staff members, partners, and other
stakeholders on results-based M&E; and in the use of the M&E
- Identify and design performance questions, key indicators and targets for each project result and milestone.
- Develop and facilitate the M&E plan implementation, and analytical processes.
- Design/review project M&E system and reporting templates.
- Determine information needs of the project team, partners, and donors.
- Conduct/participate in evaluations (baseline, mid-term, end of
project); and internal/external impact assessment studies as needed.
- Provide M&E advice, and support the project team in the use of M&E data for decision making as needed.
- Build consensus with the project team and stakeholders on how to
record, report, and analyze progress against targets; and design
formats for reporting on progress.
- Conduct monitoring visits to project sites.
- Design and manage learning/critical reflection events to be held with the project team, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Establish a web based database for M&E for managing the project’s M&E data.
- Collect, compile, analyze, and consolidate progress reports for
project management in accordance with approved reporting formats.
- The candidate should have a post graduate degree in Agricultural
Economics, Statistics, Development, or degree in relevant discipline
with strong quantitative background and good analytical skills.
- 5+ years of professional experience in the design and/or
implementation of an M&E system, preferably in the agricultural
- Experience in M&E processed of USAID funded projects.
- Fully proficient in the following software applications: Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Proficiency in statistical software such as STATA and SPSS is desirable.
- Good knowledge of ICT tools for data collection, analysis and dissemination.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English. Working knowledge of French is an asset.
- Experience in conducting training sessions, including facilitation skills.
- Strong planning, system development and organizational skills, including results orientation;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Previous work experience in agricultural value chains or agribusiness development projects;
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance
and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive
remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering
letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience
relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum
vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must
include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous
organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her
present or former place of work).
Click here to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
16th September, 2016