State Program Manager/Senior Project Officer at Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Program Manager/Senior Project Officer - (Nigeria Nationals Only)
Reference ID: 210000ON
Job Type: Full-time (Day Job)
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Team Leader
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
- CRS Nigeria is implementing the Development of Cassava Seed Entrepreneur (DCSE) component of Building Economically Sustainable Cassava Seed System, Phase 2 (BASICS-II) in Benue and Kogi State.
- BASICS-II is being implemented by a consortium of organizations led by IITA and covers the entire cassava seed value chain, ranging from breeder to farmer seed.
- The project’s vision is to provide farmers with access to affordable, quality-assured seeds of the cassava varieties in demand by local food and processor markets through the establishment of a commercially viable seed value chain operating across breeder, foundation, and commercial seed levels.
- This value chain will enable more efficient dissemination and adoption of new varieties to improve productivity, raise incomes of cassava growers and seed entrepreneurs, enhance gender equity, and contribute to inclusive agricultural transformation in Nigeria and Tanzania.
- The DCSE component of the BASICS-II project which is being implemented by CRS will include the aggregation of Cassava Seed Entrepreneurs (CSEs) and cover production and marketing of certified planting materials of improved cassava varieties to farmers within and outside of Kogi and Benue states. In implementing the component, CRS will identify, train and work with the Cassava Seed Entrepreneurs (CSEs) to plan and organize their seed production and marketing activities.
- They will be supported to be organized as formidable Seed Entrepreneurs Networks (SENs) operational in the implementation states.
- The strategic objective of the DCSE component for Nigeria is to more than double the number of decentralized, commercially viable seed enterprises in Nigeria, while they increase in average size and aggregate into associations to facilitate marketing, quality control, and other services.
- As a lead for the Building an Economically Sustainable and Integrated Cassava Seed System, Phase 2 (BASICS-II) project team, you will facilitate the achievement of project objectives through coordinating and reporting on all project activities and providing technical guidance and advice to staff and implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable.
- Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the project for which you are responsible applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Organize and lead the implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure learning properly accompanies project activities throughout the project cycle. Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences. Analyze implementation challenges and report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Support and coordinate capacity building and technical support activities to ensure assigned project activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards.
- Coordinate provision of any logistical and administrative support to staff and partners.
- Assist with preparation of trends analysis reports and documentation of case studies and promising practices
- Coordinate and oversee working relationships with all local project stakeholders and serve as the liaison between them and the project team to mobilize local actors and promote project activities and impact.
- Supervise and perform ad-hoc inspections of various processes and resources at project sites to ensure timely project activities implementation and adherence to established process standards and procedures. Ensure proper tracking of resource use for project activities through periodic budget reviews and follow-up with and assistance to implementing partner.
- Conduct monitoring visits to partners and provide hands-on support in project implementation including development of regular work-plans and budgeting.
- Ensure partner use standard quarterly narrative and monthly financial reporting formats and submit their reports in a timely manner.
- Mobilize and document partners contributions (in cash and kind) to project development and implementation.
- Update agriculture and food security section of the CRS share point regularly with relevant program documents.
- Work with Senior Program Manager for Agriculture to ensure targets of projects are met and partners submit regular programmatic and financial reports as required.
- Contribute to periodic programmatic reports and other communications required by donors.
- Contribute to CRS strategic plan to expand the agriculture and food security portfolio.
- Ensure partners’ advances/liquidations are submitted in a timely manner.
- Support the drafting of comprehensive progress reports (monthly, quarterly and/or annual) in accordance with expectations and requirements.
- Support partners in the use of the Project M&E system, ensuring its results are analyzed and appropriate changes are incorporated into the program implementation.
- Provide necessary mentor-ship / leadership skills to help develop adequate agriculture capacity within project partners.
- Master's Degree in Agriculture, Agriculture related-field or development studies required.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support, ideally in the field of Agriculture and for an NGO.
- Experience in the cassava value chain and public and private donor relations
- Experience working with partners, participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Staff supervision experience a plus.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). flangua
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to work with multiple stakeholders successfully and to create linkages.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Analysis and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
- BASICS-II Project field support personnel
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Senior Program Manager for Agriculture, Program Manager for Economic Strengthening and Food Security, Finance, Administration, M&E, Audit, DCR Programs, DCR Operations, Country Representative, RTA/Agriculture as well as other relevant regional and HQ Technical Staff.
- External: Justice, Peace and Development Commissions of the Catholic Church (JPDCs), other Implementing Partner Organizations (National Root Crop Research Institute – NRCRI, National Agricultural Seeds Council – NASC, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture – IITA, IITA GoSeed, Umudike Seed, Sahel Consulting, Agricultural Development Program – ADP, Seed Entrepreneurs and Farmer Groups/Organizations), Agro-processors, Seed Entrepreneur Networks, representatives of other NGOs, Donors, Researchers, and Private Sector.
- English. Knowledge of local languages in the State preferred but not required.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What We Offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations.
- Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harm.
- EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
- The position is open to Nigeria Nationals only
Application Deadline 30th November, 2021.