Licensed Practical Nurse Interview Questions
A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is a medical professional who provides skilled nursing care. A Licensed Practical Nurse performs professional administrative and clinical duties including but not limited to care, treatment, documentation, education and medication administration under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Licensed Practical Nurse or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Licensed Practical Nurse position,
these Licensed Practical Nurse interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Licensed Practical Nurse Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Licensed Practical Nurse interview questions.
- How do you ensure the comfort of an elderly patient?
- Which aspects of caring for an elderly patient do you find the most challenging?
- Do you have experience in administering injections?
- How would you calm down an irritated patient?
- How would you react if your replacement wouldn't arrive on time for their shift?
- Are you certified as a licensed practical nurse?
- If the Registered Nurse on your unit told you that they had prepared a Rocephin injection, but now has an emergency to attend to and asked you to administer the dose, how would you respond?
- How do you stay up to date with the latest medical developments?
- What do you do if a patient refuses to take their medications?
- If you were given instructions from a Registered Nurse you didn’t agree with, what would you do?
- What do you find most rewarding in your job?
- What is the most difficult part of being a LPN?
- What are some routine procedures that a LPN performs?
- What are vital signs and at what frequency should they be monitored?
- You enter a patient’s room and you find their vital signs are not very good. What do you do?
- Describe your experience with newborn care.
- What do you think is the hardest part of the role of a licensed practical nurse?
- How do you deliver bad news to patients?
- Are you willing to work nights, weekends, holidays, or overtime if needed?
- How do you react if a patient thanks you for your excellent care?
- How do you plan to continually grow as a Licensed Practical Nurse?
- What was your response the last time a supervisor analyzed your performance?
- In addition to providing care to ill patients, and LPN must attend to stressed-out family members. How do you approach offering support to family members?
- How would you describe the relationship between a registered nurse and a licensed practical nurse?
- If you were the LPN in a clinic and your 15 yr old patient asked you to withhold the results of a positive urine drug screen from her parents, how would you respond?
- Give an example of a situation when you did something at work out of your own initiative.
- How would you react if you were asked to do something that is not your responsibility?
- Name a likely situation that would make you miss a day of work.
- Have you ever made a mistake concerning a patient? How did you rectify it and what did you learn?
- You suspect a client is being neglected by family members/your coworkers. How do you handle this?
- How do you deal with dissatisfied patients?
- When caring for a patient, how do you determine when to seek outside help from a physician or registered nurse?
- What would you do if a patient complained to you about one of your coworker's conduct toward him/her?
- Provide an example of a time when you had to manage a patient’s pain.
- If you discovered that a coworker was violating patient privacy by discussing information outside of the care team, how would you respond?
- How do you feel when a physician criticizes your work?
- How do you deal with a mistake you made regarding a patient?
- How do you balance medical needs and emotional needs?
- If you suspected that one of your co-workers was abusing drugs, how would you handle the situation?
- What is your experience with providing care for patients with dementia?
- Describe a time when you were able to console an emotional patient. How did you do it?
- What do you think the right patient-nurse ratio is?
- Have you ever disagreed with a doctor about a patient’s care plan? What did you do?
- If a patient were to ask you about the prognosis for their illness, how would you respond?
- What would you do if you noticed another nurse making a mistake while administering care to a patient?
Licensed Practical Nurse Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Licensed Practical Nurse interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?