Product Manager Interview Questions
Product Managers are tasked with overseeing the development and improvement of company products. Their duties include understanding customer experiences, creating product pricing, and determining feature requirements, among other things.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Product Manager or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Product Manager position,
these Product Manager interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Product Manager Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Product Manager interview questions.
- What previous experiences in product development will help you in this role?
- How do you decide on the price of a product?
- What’s your biggest failure as a product manager, and why did it happen?
- How would you convince a customer to choose our product over one that is similar, but cheaper?
- We’re about to roll out the successor to our most well-known product. How would you position the legacy product so that it continues to sell well?
- How do you manage a new product launch? What tactics, strategies and processes do you use?
- There is a bug in the code for one of your products. What is your reaction?
- You’re about to launch your SaaS product. How do you get feedback?
- How do you know when a product is designed well?
- Describe your experience with writing product manuals.
- Describe your process for testing a new product or feature.
- What would you improve about our product?
- We want to make sure our products are competitive in the marketplace. How would you monitor our competitors’ products?
- What technical skill do you have that sets you apart as a product manager for our product?
- Which product development methodologies do you prefer to use?
- How do you determine which features you should add to your product?
- How do you prioritize your work to ensure you meet deadlines and deliver high-quality products?
- Tell me about a product you use regularly. What do you like most about it?
- How well do you understand our target market? Can you provide an example of a product that targets that demographic well?
- What’s your process for conducting research on your customers?
- What do you think is the most important aspect of product management?
- What’s the most successful product you’ve managed? What made it so successful?
- Can you describe how the product management team participates in sales enablement?
- Have you ever managed a product launch that went wrong?
- How often do you update your product roadmap?
- How often did you release products in your previous position?
- How would you improve Google Maps?
- How would you improve Facebook?
- How would you improve Instagram?
- How would you improve Coca-Cola?
- If you were the Product Manager for the Save feature at Facebook, what metrics would you use to define the success of this feature?
- As a Product manager, how would you measure the success of Instagram Likes?
- How would you improve YouTube?
- How would you monetize a popular service such as Twitter?
- Provide an example of a product you would have developed differently if you were the product manager.
- Why do you believe product management is important?
- What is your experience with managing a budget for a product?
- Do you use any task management software systems to prioritize your own tasks and your team’s work items?
- Are you comfortable working with a team of people to manage a product?
- What's more important: getting a product done on time or getting a product done as planned?
- Describe a product you have launched, as well as your customers and competition.
- Walk me through your process for designing product features.
- How did you handle having to reject a team member's suggestion?
- How do you decide what not to build?
- If people disagree over a product's most important feature, how would you handle it?
Product Manager Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Product Manager interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- Why Should We Hire You?