Product Owner Interview Questions
Product Owner is an IT professional responsible for setting, prioritizing, and evaluating the work generated by a software Scrum team in order to ensure impeccable features and functionality of the product.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Product Owner or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Product Owner position,
these Product Owner interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Product Owner Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Product Owner interview questions.
- Why do you want to work as a product owner?
- What are the typical responsibilities of a product owner?
- How do you develop a strategic product roadmap?
- What techniques do you use for backlog prioritisation?
- This organisation believes that product owners are visionary people. What is your vision when working as a product owner?
- What excites you about being a product owner?
- Do you think a product owner has to be a highly technical person?
- What is your biggest strength as a product owner, and how do you utilise it when working on projects?
- How is your role different from a product manager or a scrum master? Do you think the responsibilities of a product owner overlap with theirs?
- A product owner works with various stakeholders and is the point of contact between different areas of the product's development. How do you handle different opinions when collaborating with various partners?
- Can you describe a typical work week for a product owner?
- What do you bring to the organisation as a product owner?
- Describe yourself as a product owner in a sentence.
- Can a product owner be the scrum master in a team?
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced as a product owner?
- How do you handle situations when the scrum team cannot meet sprint commitments?
- Have you ever failed to deliver desired product outcomes, or how would you correct a product feature that does not meet user requirements?
- How often do you interact with your project's scrum team and internal stakeholders?
- What other product discovery frameworks, other than scrum, are you familiar with? Have you worked with any other frameworks?
- What do you think the essential features of a user story are?
- Why is it important for the product owner to create and maintain the product backlog?
- What factors do you consider when cancelling a sprint, and how do you justify the time and investment spent on a cancelled sprint?
- How do you manage the stress of the job as a product owner? Do you think the role can provide work-life balance?
- Your agile team has inherited a Business Analyst. Since the BA’s old team didn’t have a Product Owner, he behaved like one. You feel there are too many cooks in the kitchen; what strategies will you use to manage the situation and keep the peace?
- How does the Agile Management Software facilitate a scrum framework?
- What defines success for a product owner?
- How much time do you spend understanding customer requirements and researching the marketplace before laying out the product design?
- How do you plan to say 'No' to a stakeholder's opinion without affecting the collaboration?
- What are the various estimation levels in the scrum, and how do they help achieve team goals?
- Do you think a product owner can handle multiple projects? If so, how do they do that?
- How does a product owner optimise the development team's work?
- What is the most challenging project you have worked on? What was the outcome?
- When a product owner faces difficulty understanding the scrum progress concerning a product, who is a suitable person to consult in the organisation?
- How do you approach customer requests when they ask you to add design features unknown to you?
- How would you describe a scrum framework to a non-technical person?
- Your agile team is assigned a high-priority complex six-month initiative. What first process do you undertake to break work into smaller work packages? And what are these work packages called?
- Your team has released a critical feature with perceived high business value. What strategies do you use to confirm whether perception is reality?
- Do you believe the following statement is accurate? A Product Owner must be tactical and strategic. Therefore, support your response based on your experience.
- When should a Product Owner engage a client?
- During the product life-cycle, how often should a Product Owner engage a client? Describe your process and expected outcomes.
- What initial documentation is required to greenlight initiatives before work can enter into the product system?
- Describe the critical components contained in a business case?
- The agile team doesn’t understand why they are working on an initiative. What do you do?
- What aspects of the product life cycle does the product owner “own”?
- Your Scrum Master has returned from SAFe training and is excited to introduce the new framework. However, you’re not convinced SAFe will improve your team’s capabilities; how do you respond?
- You work with demanding stakeholders who each want their feature released to production yesterday. The team capacity is only four features per release. What do you do?
- The role of a Product Owner is arguably the most crucial position on an agile team; how do you build psychological safety?
- Describe a time when you used customer success metrics, and what was the outcome?
- While the role of a Product Owner is arguably the most important on a team, agile promotes the idea of a flat, non-hierarchical structure. So how do you manage the dichotomy of the two concepts?
- How do you gain trust from your agile team and stakeholders?
- What agile manifesto value resonates with you the most? Why?
- In what ways do you promote experimentation on an agile team?
- Explain the role of cost-benefit analysis in product management. Provide an overview of the benefits and outcomes from using the practice.
- Describe your leadership style.
- Tell us about a product you believe is well designed but is failing to generate revenue for a company.
Product Owner Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Product Owner interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?