Veterinary Technician Job Description
Job Descriptions > Agriculture, Animal and Conservation > Veterinary Technician
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Veterinary Technician? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Veterinary Technician? What does a Veterinary Technician do?
Job Description of a Veterinary Technician
Veterinary Technicians work for veterinary practices, hospitals, zoos and research laboratories where they draw blood, assist with medical procedures and administer medications.
Veterinary Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Veterinary Technician job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Triaging patients and taking their vitals, and acquiring patient history and other information from clients.
- Assisting with diagnostic procedures.
- Discussing treatment plans and estimates, and payment options with clients.
- Acquiring cephalic, saphenous and jugular blood samples.
- Calculating medication dosages, and providing dosage instructions for clients.
- Entering patients' service charges into computer database and keeping accurate patient records.
- Explaining patient instructions to clients and sharing educational materials.
- Inserting IV catheters, and monitoring anesthesia, ventilators and fluid therapy.
- Operating autoclaves and Anprolene sterilizers.
- Processing specimens in in-house laboratory and submitting specimens to outside laboratories.
Veterinary Technician Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Veterinary Technician job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Associate’s degree or higher in veterinary technology from an accredited school.
- Experience as Veterinary Technician.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Ability to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Undeterred by being scratched and bitten by patients.
- Team player.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong affinity for animals.
- Outstanding people skills.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Veterinary Technician starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Veterinary Technician job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Veterinary Technician may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Veterinary Technician Job Description