FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to
improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven
Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition,
environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth,
research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to
address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more
than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Job Title: Social & Behavior Change Communication Advisor
Job ID: 16307
Job Function: Global Health, Population & Nutrition
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- The SBCC Advisor will provide direction, communication technical
expertise, and oversight of all project SBCC activities for the Nigeria
Malaria Project. He/she will assist the National Malaria Elimination
Program (NMEP), and, working with the project SBCC and Community
Mobilization Officers, collaborate with and build capacity of the
Ministry of Health (Federal, State, Local Government (LGA) level)
communication personnel and private-sector counterparts to identify,
develop, implement, and monitor an array of SBCC approaches to changing
and maintaining behaviors in the area of malaria prevention and
- Working with the Research and M&E Advisor, improve on NMEP’s
and partner’s ability to measure and monitor SBCC; Support malaria
advocacy, communication, and social mobilization at Federal, State and
LGA levels and play a leadership role in integrating SBCC activities in
other health programs.
- Meet regularly with representatives of the NMEP, USAID,
partners, and other stakeholders to integrate feedback including
Federal, State and LGA strategic plans into key campaign messages,
including correct and consistent LLIN use and maintenance; comprehension
and use of ACTs; and increased use of ANC services.
- Working with the SBCC and Community Mobilization Officers,
develop SBCC messages to improve at risk population’s awareness of the
risk of malaria during pregnancy and promote the use of IPTp during
various phases of pregnancy.
- Conduct strategic behaviour communications needs assessments and
design, pre-test, and finalize drafts of SBCC/media materials in
conjunction with NMEP and relevant partners
- Implement and monitor IEC/SBCC activities at the health facility
and community level to ensure maximum local impact and education.
- Work with the Malaria Technical Director, collaborate and build
capacity of Ministry of Health and private-sector counterparts to
develop, implement, and monitor SBCC messaging and implementation.
- Contribute to work plans, budgets, pipelines, technical reports, and deliverables.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Complete detailed strategy write-ups, work plans, and deliver quarterly reports and all other reporting requirements.
- Oversees the work of consultants and subcontractors, as required.
- Collaborate closely with the M&E Advisor to ensure the
documentation of SBCC effects on target audiences by designing all
messages to track specific, measurable behaviors.
- Identify complementary activities and align plans with the
National Malaria Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization (ACSM)
guidelines as well as with plans of other malaria projects.
- Monitor and report on all Nigeria Malaria Project SBCC activities.
- Respond to the specified deliverables and goals of contracts and
grant agreements, ensuring achievements in a timely manner and in full
support and compliance with FHI360 contractual agreement.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Public Health; Communications and Media Arts; Marketing; or a relevant field.
- At least ten years of professional experience developing mass communication campaigns.
- At least ten years of experience working in public health sector.
- 5-7 years of experience in implementing and managing national health communication/SBCC programs in developing countries
Specific Knowledge Requirements:
- Practical experience with the Nigeria health system and/or Media scene
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee a number of ongoing activities.
- Understanding of widely accepted formative research, pretesting,
and monitoring and evaluation methodologies for effective SBCC
- Demonstrated strong technical, programming and management skills.
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills in English and one or more additional languages a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills and experience working in collaboration with partners, donors and NGOs.
- Ability to set priorities while multi-tasking, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Knowledge of state of the art social and behavior change
communication models and strategies and their practical application to
malaria as well as technical knowledge in these fields.
- Knowledge of evidence-based, innovative and practical solutions
to communication and gender integration challenges in developing
- Field experience in developing and implementing SBCC projects
and programs in Asia and/or other regions that have demonstrated impact
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply