Beyond Petroleum (BP) – The world has an ever-increasing demand for energy, and BP discovers,
develops and delivers oil and gas across the globe.
existing sources while enhancing the potential of renewable and
alternative energy. How? By making the most of our world-class assets
and investing in new technologies. Above all, though, by recruiting,
developing and rewarding talented people. People like you.
Job Title: Senior Originator WAF
The Marketing and Origination team was created to provide expert
resources in pursuit of a range of more complex and longer-term
transactions that will be required in support of Global Book strategies.
These transactions will be marketed to third parties and will involve a
combination of physical, risk management and financial elements.
to the Head of West Africa Origination, the WAF Senior Originator will
be accountable for originating and executing opportunities in Nigeria
and West Africa ensuring that origination activities are rigorously
executed in accordance with Group and IST standards, supporting the
approval and assurance process undertaken by commercial development, and
the interaction with the IST support functions.
The WAF Senior
Originator will work closely with the rest of the M&O Team in
delivering these opportunities, being primarily responsible for managing
senior relationships with key target customers in the region.
WAF Senior Originator will support the shaping of the M&O WAF
agenda, supporting the interaction with the Regional Business Lead and
the linkage to the bench trading strategies.
The position offers
an excellent opportunity to lead the Producer and Finance Origination
team and apply commercial and business development skills, develop
leadership and strategic thinking skills while expanding networks within
the commercial and technical disciplines.
Role is accountable
for driving commercial transactions, from inception, through
negotiation, internal approval and contract execution, as well as
operationalisation. Individual needs to bring an extensive external
regional network, a proven track record of deal execution, with strong
multi-tasking capability and proven commercial acumen and in depth
expertise in West Africa Oil and Gas, capable of dealing with a range of
commercial issues and deal matters. Key accountabilities include:
– Managing key target regional relationships across the energy sector
– Leadership in sourcing, originating and delivering commercial
transactions, showing rapid decision making, commercial insights and
deal structuring, with a clear understanding of finance.• Ensuring
maintenance of Origination hoppers for WAF opportunities
– Support and /or lead deal approval process for own transactions in coordination with CD team
– Support linkage to functions (legal, compliance, Finance, Tax, Planning) to address any deal issues and resolve obstacles
– Provide and share market intelligence and information flows to the trading benches
– Ideal individual will have a track record of covering the West
African region as a whole with a strong focus on Nigeria. Potential
candidates with a narrower geographical focus may be considered
– Ensure adherence with the Code of Conduct
– Assure adherence to legal and regulatory environment in which the origination business operates
N/A The candidate is expected to work with minimal supervision and to network independently with team members.
Extensive network of contacts in West Africa, including but not limited to:
National Oil Companies and international oil companies in the region
Local trading houses
Local marketers of refined products
Bulk distribution companies
Local banks and non-bank funds
Other regional market participants
• Ideally a strong track record of physical origination, deal structuring and successful execution
Demonstration of sound analytical and problem-solving skills, numerate with a good level of financial understanding
• Sufficient understanding and exposure to hydrocarbon valuation, commodity trading and freight economics
• Very strong proven commercial and leadership skills and strong delivery focus, with high level of energy and enthusiasm
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances
Business understanding including understanding of financial
decision-making and planning and financial statement analysis, financial
• Solid track record of commercial delivery and experience
• A very high level of competence in financial structuring, Oil and Gas
commercial business development, trade finance, trading
• Keen inter-cultural awareness and ability to deal with rapid changes
in the business environment are also important characteristics
College level education in business, Finance or Engineering preferred.
• Language skills are a desired skill – French and Portuguese particularly relevant.
• Strong commercial acumen
• Individual must possess team working, influencing, networking &
interpersonal skills with the ability to work with people at all levels
and across organisation
• Prior experience in oil and gas,
origination, business development in Oil and Gas, trading, refining
commercial operations, refinery planning and optimisation, supply
• Prior external experience in investment banking, trade finance or structuring or management consulting
• Energetic, self-starting and able to take ideas and run with them without undue supervision
Ability to energise and lead a small team of professionals and build internal networks to deliver on trading bench strategies
• Work co-operatively to enhance effectiveness, share ideas and successes characteristics
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply