FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to
improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven
solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education,
environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth,
research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to
address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more
than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently
seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Officer, Health Management Information Systems
HMIS (Health Management Information Systems) Technical Officer III,
under the supervision of Director, Strategic Information/Monitoring and
Evaluation, will oversee support to country program and global health
management information systems for routine data. This involves:
providing and coordinating technical assistance in DHIS 2 and other
databases used for donor reporting; development and monitoring of
standards in program data management; development and implementation of
program data security and data quality policies and operational
guidance; designing and developing health-related data entry and
database applications; assisting program links between client level
health service delivery software and aggregate databases, or between
program and national/donor level databases; supporting technical and
user documentation of databases; and assisting with programming charts
and other data display/visualization products, and promoting easy access
to these products, and the ability to perform custom analyses within
Essential Job Functions: Duties and Responsibilities:
leadership: Communicating with, supporting, and guiding counterparts in
country programs regarding their health database development,
maintenance and improvement needs. Promotes stable, functional and
user-friendly data management platforms, monitors and optimizes database
design, content, structure and other data management issues.
Design and Development: works with country counterparts to design and
develop database applications in response to FHI 360’s information
needs, using a mixture of DHIS 2, MS Excel, Access, Comm Care, VB, Java,
Jasper Reports, ODK and SQL/MySQL. Oversees installation and
maintenance of developed applications, writes application manuals, and
trains users. Recommends hardware and software upgrades to databases and
servers as needed.
- Technical Assistance: Provides ongoing
design, maintenance and upgrading support to custodians and users of
program databases and related applications. Trains and supervises others
in specific data processing and design tasks. Reviews output indicator
calculations in databases, and export/import of data between different
software applications, while maintaining data integrity. Helps program
links between client level data systems and aggregate databases. Builds
capacity in data management issues (e.g., deletion of records, query
management, data audit trails, internet reports) within the data users
- Data Quality: Advises on incorporation of data quality checks in program databases.
Visualization: Helps with programming data visualization products,
including producing regular high quality analysis products at country
program level. Leads and motivates teams to produce timely and
high-quality results from program databases, including managing
consultants where necessary.
- Data Security: Provides guidance
and monitors adherence to standards related to data security, including
user access and database documentation, performing backup and recovery
of program databases.
- Data Confidentiality: develops and ensures
adherence to policies that ensure the security and confidentiality of
FHI 360’s/MoH identifiable health data, including adherence to relevant
national and international standards.
- Hardware and Software:
Advises in the management of the hardware and software as related to the
operations of the databases, including system development and
maintenance, recommends purchase of new hardware and software,
maintenance of records and reports relating to database operations and
data/project archives. Provide leadership in the use of major health
- Representation and Documentation: Represents
FHI 360 and makes presentations at professional meetings and conferences
related to HMIS issues. Documents best practices in HMIS, and
- Performs any other related duties assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
Health Information System (DHIS 2), MS SQL/MySQL Design and Server
Administration, Comm Care, MS Access/Excel, other relational database
design and analysis
- Good knowledge of programming principles and languages.
ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate
learning and professional development among colleagues
- Familiarity with client/server or multi-platform application development.
understanding of basic assumptions of developing country public health
practices for data acquisition and quality assurance.
- Well developed written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in project-level database design and administration
- Knowledge of health, reproductive health or HIV/AIDS programming in developing countries.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Provides technical support and guidance to staff and partners in the
region and in country offices. Implements and monitors technical
strengthening initiatives. Develops adoption and/or training strategy,
designs and conducts training or adoption activities for a specific
technical area. Creates scientific and technical material in area of
expertise. Assists and gives guidance with development of proposals.
Works with communities and partners to maximize local capacity.
Evaluates programmatic effectiveness and provides technical assessment
• Provides technical support in the development and
dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention for
• Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
• Writes and edits technical reports and documents.
• Assists with publications, web pages, and presentations.’
• Conducts searches of published literature on evolving issues in assigned technical area.
• Monitors and maintains protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports.
• Responds to requests and inquiries from internal and external staff.
Develops or writes technical briefs, reports, or other necessary
materials to facilitate research, best practices, policies and
• Assists with the implementation of research studies by monitoring and documenting processes.
Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for
improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
• Prepares reports and papers summarizing project results.
• Delivers presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
• Ensures project implementation adheres to company strategy and remains technically sound.
• Provides leadership and team building at the task level.
• Leads the design, development, planning, and implementation of global level innovative technical strategies.
• Oversees all aspects of the programs/projects.
• Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
• Analyzes data sets and technical assessment findings.
• Develops and monitors work plans.
• Provides leadership and team building at the project level.
• Serves as company liaison to external organizations at professional meetings and conferences as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent – Masters degree
preferred in Computer Science or related field (Bachelor degree with
additional experience also considered); 5-7 years of relevant data
systems work, programming, and analytic experience. Experience working
in reproductive health or HIV/AIDS programs in developing countries an
advantage; sound knowledge of DHIS 2 and other industry standard
software; experience providing technical assistance in different
cultural contexts, including local NGOs, and knowledge of the local
context essential, familiarity with USAID programs preferred.
Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed
Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human
Development, Information Science, International Development, Social
Sciences or Related Field.
• Typically requires 8+ years of managing data collection and technical assistance experience.
• Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
• Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
• Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
• Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
• Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company.
job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither
prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry
out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to
represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to
review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive
compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to
visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360
is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not
engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or
seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital
status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other
status or characteristic protected under applicable law
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply