Job Title: Information Specialist, FSN-11/FP-04*
Work Hours: Full-Time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent serves as principal media advisor/liaison to U.S.
Mission Nigeria on the electronic media within seventeen states that
comprise the consular district of the U.S. Consulate General Lagos.
- This position advises Mission management on appropriate
reactions/responses to media stories and is always available to
coordinate urgent press matters.
- S/he coordinates placement of U.S. Mission Nigeria and
Department of State media products with electronic media in the
- Serves as point of contact for and manager of electronic media
interviews conducted with U.S. Mission personnel and organizes training
for journalists within the consulate district.
Note: All applicants Must address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- University degree in Mass Communication, Political Science, Liberal Arts or Broadcast Communication is required.
- Must have thorough knowledge of the bilateral relationships and public diplomacy themes.
- Knowledge of current development in the media sector, including social networking and various messaging system is required.
- Ability to type, draft, edit, supervise and communicate effectively is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible experience
as producer or program manager in radio and television is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is
required. Language proficiency will be tested. Level IV (Fluent) in
either Yoruba or Igbo is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that
the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N10,948,692 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not-Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$63,632 p.a. EFM/MOH – US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-04*
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S.
Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be
considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com)
authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
Application Deadline 18th April, 2016