Job Title: Science Program Specialist FSN-10/FP-05/5
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Senior Science Advisor, the
incumbent serves as a focal point to support the coordination and
clearance of all CDC supported research projects, manuscripts and
- The program advises CDC technical staff and staff of
collaborating partners on clearance requirements and the clearance
process for any proposed activities funded by HHS/CDC which require
- Additionally, s/he maintains and updates all files and
documentation associated with the clearance process and research agenda
in CDC Nigeria.
- S/he will actively supports and facilitates the development,
review and clearance process for all research projects, public health
evaluations, surveys, and special study protocols as well as the ethical
review and Institutional Review Board (IRB) process for all research
activities funded by HHS/CDC and carried out by implementing partners in
Note: All applicants Must address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Master’s degree in any of the following: Medicine, Public
Health, Epidemiology, Applied Science, Behavioral Sciences or related
field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years responsible experience working as a
researcher/research officer with research institute(s) or health
institutional review board(s) is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Knowledge of the structure of the public and private health
sector of Nigeria, priorities, strategies and players is required.
Knowledge of Nigeria health research policies and National Code of
Health Research Ethics as well as local Institutional Review Board
processes is required.
- Proficiency in MS Office, statistical software packages and Institutional Review Board Protocol Management System is required
- Thorough knowledge of human subjects research protection
requirements to provide detailed guidance to investigators on regulatory
and procedural issues.
- Good working knowledge of the research process as well as
documentation and procedures required for the ethical review, clearance
of projects and funding restriction mechanisms for these activities is
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that
the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or – Ordinarily Resident–N8,795,684 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-10
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not Ordinarily Resident -AEFM/EFM-US$49,804 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-05/5*
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S.
Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be
considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com)
authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
Application Deadline 18th April, 2016