The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council’s largest
establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research
in a developing country.
The Unit aims to improve the health of people
in developing countries by contributing to the development, testing and
safe adoption of interventions aimed at reducing the burden of
morbidity and mortality from infectious diseases.
The Disease Control & Elimination theme has recently secured a
research grant entitled “Reactive household-based self-administered
treatment against residual malaria transmission (RHOST)”. This project
explores the concept of a community-based initiative for reactive
treatment of household contacts of patients with confirmed clinical
malaria as a way of significantly reducing parasite carriage in the
population to near zero.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: West Africa Research Platform Coordinator GAM 171
- You will coordinate and manage the Unit activities, staff and resources allocated to the West Africa region eftiative.
- The thtal aim will be to ensure that the MRC West Africa
platform strategy and related activities are delivered efficiently in
accordance with the MRCGs Quinquennial Plan, approved country budget and
other relevant policies and procedures.
Scope of Work
The scope will include:
- Research and the development of strategic documents
- Promoting and managing externally funded projects
- Promoting and managing Capital Investment projects
- Managing external partnerships with institutions and Government officials
- You will have a Degree level qualification or equivalent, with formal training in Project Management.
- The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers
are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities
that the MRC name brings. Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that
you will have access to a whole host of benefits, as well as the chance
to put the MRC on your CV in the future. Non-Gambian applicants may
also be eligible for housing, flights and schooling contributions which
apply for relocated staff.
- It is essential to have proven expdrience of planning, managing
and delivering project programme management and competence in financial
administration, personnel management, strategic report writing,
monitoring and evaluation.
- It is important that you are sensitive to the needs of Multi-Cultural and Multi-Faith communities.
- The salary will be paid in Band 4a of MRC UK payscale.
- We cannot accept applications from people who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- The appointment is for 3 years.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should contact the Human Resources Office for an application form and a copy of the job description by emailing: [email protected] .
Completed application forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be returned to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: West Africa Research Platform Coordinator
Ref: GAM 171,
MRC Unit, Fajara,
P.O. Box 273,
Banjul, The Gambia.
Application Deadline 12th May, 2016.