Job Title: Senior Public Health Specialist (Emergency Management)
Location: Abuja Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- This position serves as the Global Health Security public health emergency management portfolio manager.
- The incumbent is responsible for public health emergency
management activities supported by the CDC Nigeria Office, primarily
infectious disease outbreaks but also including natural, accidental and
intentional (terrorism, crime, civil disorder) disasters with public
- The position interfaces with all levels of NGO and cooperative
partners, universities and medical personnel for the purpose of
developing and maintaining a highly functional emergency operation
center and incident command system in Nigeria.
- S/he works closely with Administrative support staff to manage
cooperative agreements and provide technical guidance to implementing
- The incumbent reports to the Associate Director for Global Health Security.
- S/he is the primary advisor to the Associate Director for Global
Health Security on public health emergency operations and management in
- S/he interacts with all levels within the USG forum and assists
the Ministry of Health in the development of its emergency management
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Public Administration, Medicine or Epidemiology is required.
- General knowledge of local emergency management processes and
/or systems and the role of the Ministry of Health (MOH) in public
health emergencies. Must have skills and diplomacy for working
effectively with countries’ Ministries of Health (MOH), United Nations
Office of Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), United Nations
Disaster Assistance Coordination (UNDAC), Department of State (DOS),
Embassies and international public health entities; and have extensive
knowledge of global public health activities and strategies, including
advanced knowledge of the Incident Command System framework (ICS);
- Proficiency in MS Office, (Word, PPT and Excel) with good
organizational skills, communication skills, attention to detail
required by maintenance of budget, development of plans and procedures,
and handling of numerous versions of documents is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working on public
programs and effective coordination of operations, management and
analysis, with at least three (3) years of dedicated experience working
in public health emergency management is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of the development of program goals and
objectives, the sequence and timing of key program events and
milestones, as well as knowledge of the development and implementation
of capacity and program assessments, and methods of evaluating program
accomplishment is required. Good knowledge of administrative, budgetary,
procurement, and travel issues related to government purchasing and
funding guidelines is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that
the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,
and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they
have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N10, 948,692 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM/EFM-US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-04
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum
requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title
and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for
Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be
residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring
officer under chief of mission (com) authority does
have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered.
Application Deadline 6th June, 2016.