IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding
solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning
research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development
of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality
and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate
wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in
1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the
following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and
maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research
partnership for a food secure future.
We seek suitable candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Ref. No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-031
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Carry out genotyping of plant materials designed for various
genetics analysis including linkage mapping, association studies and
marker-assisted selection, genotyping will be done in lab using SNP, SSR
and other types of marker;
- Carry out plant DNA/RNA isolation, DNA/RNA quality and quantity
analysis and standard PCR amplification designed for genomic studies;
- Carry out gel electrophoresis and other cognate techniques;
- Carry out basic informatics analysis and use of web-based biological tools;
- Supervision and training of laboratory personnel and general administration/maintenance, of the laboratory;
- Carry out maintenance of accurate data record in database and laboratory notebooks;
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations of the Biotechnology Laboratory;
- Carry out collection of leaf, tissues from the field, prepare
DNA and RNA for next-generation sequencing, (GBS, RNAseq, etc.) and
analyze genotypic data including linkage mapping, association studies,
diversity analysis and expression analysis;
- Carry out quantitative real time PCR on light cycler and ABI instruments for genotyping and expression analysis;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc./HND in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biology, Microbiology
or related field with 2 years’ relevant experience in molecular biology
The ideal candidate must have:
- Training in basic principles of Genetics.
- Some experience in Bioinformatics.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision willing to work longer hours when necessary.
- Skills in Q-PCR, SNP genotyping, genomic data analysis.
- Exposure in Cell and Molecular Biology.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and
excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed
curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The
application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three
professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s
current or previous organization or applicant’s direct
Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration
Application Deadline 30th June, 2016.