International Potato Center (CIP) is a not-for-profit international
agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct
research on genetic resources of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other
Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement,
integrated crop management
and sustainable management of natural
International Potato Center (CIP) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Seed Systems Consultant
- The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a consultant
with global experience in managing and facilitating seed systems
activities with special focus on multiple biofortified crops including
orange-fleshed sweet potato, vitamin A yellow cassava, vitamin A orange
maize and high iron beans.
- This consultancy contract is for 10 working days spread over the
period September to December 2016, with possibility of extension,
subject to performance and availability of funding.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work closely with CIAT, CIMMYT, CIP, IITA and
Harvest Plus and the other consortium partners to coordinate the seed
systems activities, synthesize seed systems progress reports and support
capacity development activities as called upon. The specific
activities include to:
- Work with the seed experts under BNFB to ensure effective
networking, collaboration and communication to facilitate a strategic
focus on mainstreaming bio fortification into country breeding programs;
- Synthesize the respective commodity based seed systems progress reports and develop consolidated seed systems progress reports.
- Provide input to the seed systems partners’ needs assessment exercise and subsequent capacity development response strategy.
- Work with the seed systems experts to define the terms of reference for seed systems platforms in Nigeria and Tanzania.
- Act as the ‘secretary’ to the seed systems platform, and ensure
that meetings are scheduled regularly by rotating conveners. The
platform will provide the opportunity to deliberate on topical
cross-cutting seed systems issues, develop implementation strategies,
associated work plans and agree on appropriate division of labor. The
platform will also provide opportunities for monitoring and learning;
- Academic Qualifications: Relevant PhD degree with specialization in Plant breeding, Agronomy, Seed technology or related fields;
- Global expertise: Relevant work experience in international organizations or NGO’s in multi-cultural environments is required.
- Language: Proven communication skills in English.
- Experience: Extensive experience in developing seed systems in
selected commodity value chain and strengthening seed supply chain, with
a focus on (seed and grain) market development and commercialization;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th September, 2016.