The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is currently seeking to employ suitable and
qualified candidate for the position below in the Health Unit:
Job Title: Physician, FSN- 12/FP-03*
Location: Abuja – Health Unit
Work Hours: Part-time; 20 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent provides medical services and serves as primary
care physician to approximately 156 direct hire American officers and
their family members in the mission and agencies.
- S/He helps in planning and administering the health program at post, including at-post
- hospitalizations and medical evacuations.
- S/He serves as consulting and on-call physician for high-level
VIP visits when the Regional Medical Officer (RMO) and/or Foreign
Service Health Practitioner (FSHP) are not present.
- S/he sees 377 Foreign Service National employees upon occasion
of injury on the job, referring any who become ill at work to their
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Doctorate degree in Medicine with a license to practice in
Nigeria. Completion of formal internship, minimum of three years formal
residency training or equivalent training as certified by Master of
Medicine (M/MED) and current U.S. specialty Board certification (or
European equivalent) is required.
- Must have good working knowledge of Advanced Cardiac Life
Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Advanced Trauma Life Support,
and Emergency Preparedness for chemical, biological and radiological
- Must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others and have a customer-service orientation.
- Minimum of six (6) years of progressive experience in internal
medicine, family medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine and OB/GYN is
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination
that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and,
if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a
When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N12,970, 979 p.a (Full-Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-12
Part – Time basic salary – N6,485,490 p.a In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$78,529 EFM/MOH – US$67,395 (Full-Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-03*
Part-Time basic salary – AEFM – US$39,265 EFM/MOH – US$33,698
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum
requirements as advertised. Please reference the
job title and announcement number on the
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for
Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to
be residing in country to be considered, but the
sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com)
authority does have to Be assigned officially to
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only
contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your
Application Deadline 14th October, 2016.