What is the job description and role of a Bricklayer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Bricklayer?
Bricklayer Job Description
Brickmasons, blockmasons, and stonemasons (or, simply, masons) use bricks, concrete blocks, and natural and man-made stones to build fences, walkways, walls, and other structures.
The following are examples of types of masons:
Brickmasons and blockmasons—often called bricklayers—build and repair walls, floors, partitions, fireplaces, chimneys, and other structures with brick, precast masonry panels, concrete block, and other masonry materials.
Stonemasons build stone walls, as well as set stone exteriors and floors. They work with two types of stone: natural-cut stone, such as marble, granite, and limestone; and artificial stone, made from concrete, marble chips, or other masonry materials. Using a special hammer or a diamond-blade saw, workers cut stone to make various shapes and sizes. Some stonemasons specialize in setting marble, which is similar to setting large pieces of stone.
Pointing, cleaning, and caulking workers repair brickwork, particularly on older structures on which mortar has come loose. Special care must be taken not to damage the structural integrity or the existing bricks.
Refractory masons are brickmasons who specialize in installing firebrick, gunite, castables, and refractory tile in high-temperature boilers, furnaces, cupolas, ladles, and soaking pits in industrial establishments. Most of these workers are employed in steel mills, where molten materials flow on refractory beds from furnaces to rolling machines. They also are employed at oil refineries, glass furnaces, incinerators, and other locations with manufacturing processes that require high temperatures.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of a Bricklayer
- Read blueprints or drawings to calculate materials needed
- Mix mortar or grout and spread it onto a slab or foundation
- Lay bricks, blocks, or stones according to plans
- Construct corners with a corner pole or by building a corner pyramid
- Ensure that a structure is perfectly vertical and horizontal, using a plumb bob and level
- Clean and polish surfaces with hand or power tools
- Clean excess mortar with trowels and other hand tools
- Fill expansion joints with the appropriate caulking materials
- Lay out patterns or foundations using a straightedge
- Break or cut bricks, stones, or blocks to their appropriate size
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!