What is the job description and role of an Industrial/product designer? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Industrial/product designer?
Industrial/product designer Job Description
Industrial designers develop the concepts for manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and toys. They combine art, business, and engineering to make products that people use every day. Industrial designers focus on the user experience in creating style and function for a particular gadget or appliance.
Some industrial designers focus on a particular product category. For example, some design medical equipment, or work on consumer electronics products, such as computers or smart phones. Other designers develop ideas for new bicycles, furniture, housewares, or snowboards. Self-employed designers have more flexibility in the product categories they work on. Designers who work for manufacturers help create the look and feel of a brand through their designs.
Computers are a major tool for industrial designers. They use two-dimensional computer-aided design (CAD) software to sketch ideas, because computers make it easy to make changes and show alternatives. Three-dimensional CAD software is increasingly being used by industrial designers as a tool to transform their two-dimensional designs into models with the help of three-dimensional printers. If they work for manufacturers, they also may use computer-aided industrial design (CAID) software to create specific machine-readable instructions that tell other machines exactly how to build the product.
Industrial designers imagine how consumers might use a product and test different designs with consumers to see how each design looks and works. Industrial designers often work with engineers, production experts, and market research analysts to find out if their designs are feasible. They apply the input from their colleagues’ professional expertise to further develop their designs. For example, industrial designers may work with market research analysts to develop plans to market new product designs to consumers
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of an Industrial/product designer
- Consult with clients to determine requirements for designs
- Research who will use a particular product, and the various ways it might be used
- Work with other specialists such as mechanical engineers or manufacturers to evaluate whether their design concepts will fill a need at a reasonable cost
- Sketch out ideas or create renderings, which are images on paper or on a computer that provide a better visual of design ideas
- Create physical prototypes of their designs
- Present designs and demonstrate prototypes to clients for approval
- Examine materials and production costs to determine manufacturing requirements
- Use computer software to develop virtual models of different designs
- Evaluate product safety, appearance, and function to determine if a design is practical
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!